Street fight leads to shots fired, one in critical condition
SALT LAKE CITY – Police responded to reports of an assault in-progress just before 2 a.m. near 149 West Pierpont Avenue.
Officers described what they saw upon arrival as a “chaotic scene”. Over 100 people were in the street and more were joining the crowd from nearby entertainment venues.
There was a large fight at the center of the crowd that officers quickly broke up. A private security company and Salt Lake County sheriff deputies both assisted responding officers in dispersing the crowds.
At 2 a.m., officers on scene heard shots fired and attempted to locate the shooter as well as any victims. A 34-year-old man was located by police in critical condition. He was transported to a local hospital by paramedics where he remains at this time. It has been confirmed that he does not have any gunshot wounds and was injured as a result of the brawl.
Many witnesses left before police could get witness statements. There are no suspects and no arrests have been made at this time.
The SLCPD is asking that anyone with information on this case, including people with photos or videos of the events leading up to, during and after to please call 801-799-3000 and reference case number 22-129894.
This is a developing story and will be updated.
Today’s Top Stories
- How to have the best of both worlds for your house | Home security and curb appeal
- Ogden man in jail after allegedly shaking 8-week-old baby
- Breaking: Teen missing from Layton found safe in Salt Lake City
- 200-year-old tree explodes in Portland due to heat wave
- UTA releases video of the moments before woman was hit by FrontRunner
- Layton Police say search continues for teenager missing from treatment center
- Number of visitors to Arches National Park is on the decline
- Refinery flares are normal says Utah Department of Environmental Quality
- Woman dies after being struck by FrontRunner in Salt Lake City
- Utah reaction to the FBI search of Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate