Utah House Speaker bringing back second annual Great Salt Lake Summit
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah’s Speaker of the House Brad Wilson, R-Kaysville, says he’s bringing back the Great Salt Lake Summit this October.
This would be the second Great Salt Lake Summit, the first was held in January. Wilson said the date is slated for Oct. 13.
#NEW @BradWilsonGOP says he’s holding the 2nd annual Great Salt Lake Summit October 13th. “You will see some big levers there,” he told me about what’s next for saving GSL. At the first one, lots of ideas now reality. @kslnewsradio #utpol The first one👉https://t.co/3MmUlz17LV
— Lindsay Aerts (@LindsayOnAir) July 27, 2022
Those things are now reality in Utah, many of them passed this past legislative session.
The first summit gathered researchers, environmental advocates, policymakers, and other stakeholders to discuss policies and strategies to save the ailing lake, that has only receded lower in levels since that time.
Wilson said he’s been working really closely with Sen. Mitt Romney on solutions.
“He and I are spending a significant amount of time together during his August recess trying to figure out how the state of Utah can work with the federal government to help solve this problem.”
Romney recently introduced his own legislation to have the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers study what could be feasible to get more water into the rivers that feed the lake.
- At water summit, a warning about the shrinking Great Salt Lake
- Goals of the Great Salt Lake Collaborative, a solutions journalism initiative
Today’s Top Stories
- Victim of fatal accident identified, SR 190 reopens in Big Cottonwood Canyon
- UPDATE: Family of missing Stanton Porter releases statement regarding his death
- UPDATE: Meteor potentially causes boom that rattles Salt Lake Valley
- Parents, need a side hustle? The Murray School District is hiring
- Utah middle school bans phones from entire school day
- How to have the best of both worlds for your house | Home security and curb appeal
- Investigation continues after plane plunges into Lake Powell, killing 2
- Three people charged after staged kidnapping for YouTube video, police say
- 4moms infant swings and rockers recalled over strangulation danger
- Some Capri Sun products being recalled by Kraft Heinz