Speeding vehicle crashes in rush hour, closes 500 South ramp to freeway
SALT LAKE CITY — The on-ramp from 500 South in downtown Salt Lake City to the I-15/I-80 freeways was closed for more than 90-minutes at the peak of rush hour traffic Thursday morning.
Sgt. Roden with the Utah Highway Patrol said a black BMW was driving at a high rate of speed on northbound I-15, passed a trooper and exited at 600 South.
“The trooper tried to stop the vehicle, but it turned north onto 500 West and fled,” Roden said. “The officer did not pursue.”
Police said the BMW then tried to get back onto I-15 using the 500 South on-ramp where it crashed into a white work van at 7:41am.
“The van was T-boned,” said Roden and pictures show the vehicle resting on top of the freeway barrier.
The adult male driver of the work van was taken to the hospital with minor injuries police said. The driver of the BMW was arrested for fleeing and impaired driving.
The ramps from 500 South to either I-15 southbound and westbound I-80 toward the airport reopened at 9:10am.
500 South WB to get onto SB 15 or I-80 WB is complete CLOSED due to a crash. Use 400 South or 600 North as alternates. pic.twitter.com/QvT7jKPXOn
— Heather Kelly (@KSLHeatherKelly) August 4, 2022
- UHP has stopped just under 97,000 cars so far in 2022
- Utah troopers plan to crack down on excessive speeding
- Utah drivers getting worse according to UHP enforcement numbers
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- Bill would allow individuals to become teachers without a bachelor’s degree
- Check your pantry, a Conagra canned meat recall may affect you
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Credit union will pay for larger dog adoptions this weekend
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- Court says gun law targeting domestic violence suspects is unconstitutional
- As two federal pandemic emergency-assistance programs near an end, Cox has solutions
- Utah mom shares grocery budgeting tips