Ogden man jailed, facing counts of sexual exploitation of a minor
Editor’s note: This story has been edited from its original version to correct some factual errors. We apologize for the mistake.
OGDEN, Utah — An Ogden man is under arrest and facing 10 counts of felony sexual exploitation of a minor.
According to a probable cause statement filed in Utah’s 2nd District Court, Michael James Welch, age 31, is accused of uploading child pornography.
Police say they were alerted by an “electronic service provider” to the initial uploads through a Cyber Tipline.
On August 9, the Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force executed a search warrant on a home in Roy, Utah where Welch was interviewed. According to police, Welch confessed to having downloaded and uploaded “several videos” containing child sexual exploitation material.
A search of the home netted “at least 30 videos of child exploitation” according to police, with copious other amounts of similar material which was not viewed by officers.
Welch is being held without bail.
- Multiple arrests after statewide crackdown on child porn
- New telephone scam involves Internet Crimes Against Children task force
- Law designed to tackle how the U.S. government handles cybercrimes
Today’s Top Stories
- Controversial homecoming dress code ends in protest
- Name change coming to Intermountain Healthcare next year
- The plan to build an inland port/commerce hub is on hold
- Ian makes landfall in southwest Florida as Category 4 storm
- Salt Lake County Dems call for immediate resignation of Sen. Gene Davis
- So. Salt Lake Police identify victim in officer-involved shooting
- Hurricane Ian knocked out power to all of Cuba, Florida officials urge evacuations
- Fatal crash near Strawberry Reservoir closes SR-40
- New poll suggests voters don’t wan’t to see Biden or Trump on the ballot
- US Embassy warns Americans to leave Russia