Ogden man jailed, facing counts of sexual exploitation of a minor
Editor’s note: This story has been edited from its original version to correct some factual errors. We apologize for the mistake.
OGDEN, Utah — An Ogden man is under arrest and facing 10 counts of felony sexual exploitation of a minor.
According to a probable cause statement filed in Utah’s 2nd District Court, Michael James Welch, age 31, is accused of uploading child pornography.
Police say they were alerted by an “electronic service provider” to the initial uploads through a Cyber Tipline.
On August 9, the Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force executed a search warrant on a home in Roy, Utah where Welch was interviewed. According to police, Welch confessed to having downloaded and uploaded “several videos” containing child sexual exploitation material.
A search of the home netted “at least 30 videos of child exploitation” according to police, with copious other amounts of similar material which was not viewed by officers.
Welch is being held without bail.
- Multiple arrests after statewide crackdown on child porn
- New telephone scam involves Internet Crimes Against Children task force
- Law designed to tackle how the U.S. government handles cybercrimes
Today’s Top Stories
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Jordan High student killed in Sandy crosswalk by school bus
- Three vehicle crash in Sanpete County leaves one dead
- Two Republicans voted against bill banning transgender-related surgery, here’s why
- Utah leading a lawsuit against new ESG rule affecting 401(k) plans
- Utah Senate passes transgender-related surgery ban for minors
- SLC restaurant “Manoli’s” nominated for James Beard Award
- More protests today after release of video depicting the deadly police beating of Tyre Nichols
- Salt Lake City traffic stop leads to drug bust, illegal gun recovered