Duke volleyball players receive racial slurs during a game against BYU
SALT LAKE CITY — Rachel Richardson, a starter for the Duke women’s volleyball team, was called a racial slur numerous times during a game at Brigham Young University’s Smith Fieldhouse on Friday, said her godmother in a tweet. Furthermore, her Godmother said the racial slur was directed toward Richardson every time she served during the game.
“My Goddaughter is the only black starter for Dukes volleyball team. While playing yesterday, she was called a ni**er every time she served,” the godmother said on her Twitter.
The tweet went on to say how the player was also threatened by a white male. The Godmother says the white male told the volleyball player to watch her back going to the team bus.
A police officer had to be present at the player’s bench during the game.
BYU posted a tweet Saturday in response to the racial slurs during the game. In the tweet, it says a small number of fans are at fault for shouting racial slurs at Richardson.
Going forward BYU says this behavior will not be tolerated and they apologize to Duke University and the student-athletes competing.
Furthermore, the tweet says the fans were not BYU students. Duke identified was of the fans shouting racial slurs and BYU says they are banned from all BYU athletic venues.
Official statement from BYU Athletics. pic.twitter.com/5bIwXNwr7J
— BYU Cougars (@BYUCougars) August 27, 2022
Today’s Top Stories
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Jordan High student killed in Sandy crosswalk by school bus
- Three vehicle crash in Sanpete County leaves one dead
- Two Republicans voted against bill banning transgender-related surgery, here’s why
- Utah leading a lawsuit against new ESG rule affecting 401(k) plans
- SLC restaurant “Manoli’s” nominated for James Beard Award
- Utah Senate passes transgender-related surgery ban for minors
- More protests today after release of video depicting the deadly police beating of Tyre Nichols
- Salt Lake City traffic stop leads to drug bust, illegal gun recovered