CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
UPDATE: Young brother and sister killed in auto-pedestrian crash in Provo, driver also dead
PROVO, Utah — The driver involved in an accident this morning killing a brother and sister has been identified by the Provo Police Department in a Facebook post. Darren Albertson of Provo was driving the SUV that crossed the eastbound lanes and struck a nine-year-old girl and her ten-year-old brother heading to school.
Aug. 29, 2022, 9:52 a.m.
A brother and a sister were killed after they were hit by a speeding driver in Provo on Monday morning.
Provo Police Captain Brian Taylor said that the driver also died as a result of the accident.
Taylor said that a 54-year-old man in a white SUV was driving westbound on 7oo N. around 8 a.m. when he crossed the eastbound lanes and swerved onto the sidewalk where the children, a 9-year-old girl, and a 10-year-old boy, were standing.
The brother and sister were on their way to school when they were hit.
Police said the driver continued down the road and hit a gas line as well as someone’s porch. The damage to the gas line has been fixed according to police.
By mid-morning, the intersection around 700 E. and 700 N. in Provo was closed as an investigation continued.
A GoFundMe was set up by Ryan Nelson and Jessica Nelson for the family.
It can be found here.
KSL NewsRadio does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisors and
otherwise, proceed at your own risk.
Simone Seikaly contributed to this story.
This story is developing and will be updated.
- Unified Police Department vehicle hit during traffic stop
- Scorpions thrive in south Utah’s recent rainstorms
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Multiple Utah schools received fake reports of school shooting, officials say
- Additional sex charges filed against Utah businessman; more victims possible
- Three people killed in two-vehicle crash on US-89 in Logan Canyon
- Gwyneth Paltrow’s ski collision trial continues with defense
- Alpine School District exploring potential closure of 5 elementary schools
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts
- Prison sentence reduced for ‘Real Housewives of SLC’ star Jen Shah
- Provo Canyon closing intermittently to mitigate rock slides
- Seven Canyons Fountain will be ‘reimagined’ into dry art feature
- Five-planet alignment may be visible in Tuesday night’s sky