SLCPD identify suspect and victim in Saturday shooting
SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake City Police Department has arrested a 22-year-old man in connection to a Saturday shooting near the Salt Palace Convention Center. Additionally, police have identified the victim of the shooting.
Police said tips came in suggesting the shooting happened two blocks to the west, near 150 South West Temple.
When searching the area, police found a man on the ground with a gunshot wound. SLCPD identified this man as 41-year-old Deliford Knight.
According to a press release, Knight and friends flew to Salt Lake City from Florida to attend a sneaker convention at the Salt Palace Convention Center.
Emergency medical aid was provided to Knight by officers on the scene, but he died in a hospital as a result of his injuries.
SLCP arrest a suspect
Police have arrested 22-year-old Deng Buk in connection to the shooting.
They said they are searching for more suspects connected to the case, including the shooter.
According to the press release, Buk was arrested with assistance from SLCPD SWAT and SLCPD’s Homicide Squad during a court-authorized search warrant in Salt Lake City.
Buk will be booked into the Salt Lake County Metro Jail on one count of murder and another of aggravated robbery, SLCPD said.
More details released by SLCPD
The investigation showed that the victim and a group of others were fighting just before the shooting.
According to the press release, Knight and his friends had previously traveled to conventions similar to that at the Salt Palace. Allegedly they would engage in betting to con people out of money.
One suspect reportedly lost money to Knight and became angry. He then followed Knight to West Temple, according to the press release. This led to fighting between Knight, Buk and other suspects to get back the lost money.
According to the press release, following this, a person with Buk took out a gun and shot Knight. Police said that the shooter and another suspect then took items out of Knight’s pockets including a cellphone and cash.
Witnesses told officers the shooter and at least one other person ran into a nearby parking garage and left in a vehicle.
SLCPD said no further information will be released regarding this case.
Devin Oldroyd assisted with this article.
Today’s Top Stories
- Be Ready Utah: What you need in your emergency winter car kit
- Genealogy research now tax deductible for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Utah County man pleads guilty to death of West Jordan teenager
- Oath Keepers boss guilty of seditious conspiracy in 1/6 case
- Church announces locations for six previously announced temples
- Senate passes bill to protect same-sex and interracial marriage in landmark vote
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Vail Resorts facing million dollar lawsuit after a Utah bowling alley incident
- What to do after a fender bender in snowy weather?