CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Man who ran over wife in Salt Lake City International Airport sentenced
Sep 9, 2022, 4:00 PM | Updated: Dec 30, 2022, 11:19 am
(Salt Lake City Police Department)
SALT LAKE CITY — A man was sentenced on Friday for running over his wife in the parking garage of the Salt Lake City International Airport in early April.
Sturgeon was initially charged with manslaughter but that was dismissed because he pleaded guilty.
Shawn Sturgeon pled guilty in 3rd District Court to criminal automobile homicide while driving under the influence, a second-degree felony. He also pled guilty to domestic violence in the presence of a child, a third-degree felony.
Sturgeon will be serving one to 20 years in prison. A parole board will determine the exact number of years he will be serving.
In April, Sturgeon had been drinking on a flight. Then, as he and his family were loading the car in the parking garage at the airport, he backed over his wife.
Sturgeon’s blood-alcohol level was at point 1.3% at the time of the incident, which is more than twice the legal limit for driving. His wife died at the hospital from her injuries.
Related: Accident kills 6-year-old, GoFundMe set up for the family
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Congressman Chris Stewart announces resignation
- Woman barricades herself inside West Jordan home, then arrested
- Becky Edwards announces her intent to run to represent Utah’s 2nd Congressional District
- Adult filmmakers ask judge to delay Utah law requiring porn sites verify user ages
- U of U Health, Regence insurance warn they may not reach a contract
- Some rivers exit flood stage as spring runoff draws closer to an end
- Bear Lake expected to rise 8-10 feet this summer
- Record Utah winter makes up for years-long water shortfall
- 10 famous Utah ghost towns and where to find them
- Sen. Lee says he will vote no on debt ceiling agreement