Vernal student detained by police after allegedly bringing gun to school
VERNAL, Utah — A student at Vernal Middle School was taken into custody after police say the student allegedly brought a gun to school Thursday.
According to a news release, the school resource officer at the middle school was informed that a student allegedly had a gun inside the school. The officer was able to immediately identify and detain the student.
The news release also states that a firearm and ammunition were seized. Additionally, the student has been booked into the Youth Detention Center.
According to the investigation, authorities were able to discover that the student had a plan and a specific target.
In their investigation, authorities were also able to confirm once the suspect was detained there was no longer a threat.
The incident is still under investigation by Vernal Police.
- Bear River Middle school student arrested, found with gun, knife
- Tooele police investigate gun brought to junior high school by student
- Draper Park Middle School student uses SafeUT app to report gun on campus
Today’s Top Stories
- Wildlife officials, troopers, maneuver large herd of elk away from I-80
- Suspects in custody, lockdown lifted after shots fired at Taylorsville High
- Pedestrian hit and killed by UTA Frontrunner
- Large sinkhole shuts down portion of westbound 1500 North in Lehi
- Investigation of fatal accident at Provo airport includes witness statements
- Teachers at West High School walkout in of protest H.B. 215
- Bystander finds dead body in Salt Lake foothills above Beck Street
- Cottonwood Connect offers a new way to get up Cottonwood Canyons
- UHP: Semi rollover in Juab County has claimed at least one life
- Spanish Fork teacher is year’s first Jazz “Most Valuable Educator”