CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Vernal student detained by police after allegedly bringing gun to school
Sep 22, 2022, 8:00 PM | Updated: Dec 29, 2022, 11:25 am
VERNAL, Utah — A student at Vernal Middle School was taken into custody after police say the student allegedly brought a gun to school Thursday.
According to a news release, the school resource officer at the middle school was informed that a student allegedly had a gun inside the school. The officer was able to immediately identify and detain the student.
The news release also states that a firearm and ammunition were seized. Additionally, the student has been booked into the Youth Detention Center.
According to the investigation, authorities were able to discover that the student had a plan and a specific target.
In their investigation, authorities were also able to confirm once the suspect was detained there was no longer a threat.
The incident is still under investigation by Vernal Police.
- Bear River Middle school student arrested, found with gun, knife
- Tooele police investigate gun brought to junior high school by student
- Draper Park Middle School student uses SafeUT app to report gun on campus
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- New Great Salt Lake commissioner says he hopes Utah avoids ‘Great Salt Lake fatigue’
- Rattlesnakes are appearing on Utah trails, around homes later than normal
- Hydrologist optimistic about Salt Lake County runoff picture as thunderstorm threat looms
- Video: Sugar House man notices sinkhole of “unknown depth” in front yard, at a…
- Utah historian uncovers artifacts from 1983 floods
- Pilot crashes small plane in southern Utah after buying it from Nevada, officials say
- Lori Vallow Daybell shrugs after being handed docs about delivering up her kids, video shows
- How To Plan a Business Retreat in Bear Lake This Spring
- U.S. Department of Labor is suing the Chinatown Supermarket in Salt Lake
- Years before the attack on Pearl Harbor, Japan sank a US warship in China