CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
SLCPD announce the arrest of alleged shooting suspect Joseph Marquez
Oct 12, 2022, 9:30 PM | Updated: Dec 29, 2022, 11:24 am
(Salt Lake City PD)
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake City Police announced Wednesday night that 60-year-old Joseph Marquez has been taken into custody.
Marquez was wanted for questioning in connection to a shooting that occurred Tuesday morning at the Wasatch Inn, located at 1416 S. State Street. The 38-year-old victim, who has not been identified, remains in critical condition, according to a Salt Lake City Police news release.
Police say an argument over a cigarette led to the shooting. Marquez has been booked into jail for investigation of attempted murder, obstruction of justice and unlawful transaction of a firearm by a restricted person.
Tuesday night, police arrested 71-year-old Thomas Leroy Glasker for his involvement in the incident. Police say Glasker allegedly provided Marquez with the weapon and then allegedly helped him flee the area.
“An extraordinary amount of work goes into keeping our city safe,” said Chief Mike Brown in a news release. “Much of that work is out of public view. It includes our crime analysts, our victim advocates, our social workers and our detectives. I cannot stress enough – our patrol officers and specialty units – like our bike squads, are in our community every day working to proactively reduce crime. I am proud of their work and commitment to public safety. We would not be at this point in this investigation had it not been for the unrelenting work of our police officers and detectives who dropped everything to chase down the suspect in this case. They have my deep gratitude and I hope the community.”
- Shooting suspect at large in Salt Lake City, one other individual in custody
- Salt Lake City Police respond to five different incidents with weapons
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- El Nino has returned. What does that mean for Utah?
- New distribution center dedicated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- SLC Council issues statement on UTA Pride bus being pulled from parade
- Man urges pet owners to be cautious around rivers after Oliver the dog was swept away
- Identities released of Hyrum couple found dead in their home
- Service animal removed from grocery store. Does the ADA allow that?
- Seven months into Adderall shortage, expert offers advice
- Romney: Trump brought charges upon himself, is innocent until proven guilty
- Two found dead after shooting at Cache County home
- Utah man sues Alaska State Troopers, claims conditional job offer revoked over HIV status