SLCPD announce the arrest of alleged shooting suspect Joseph Marquez
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake City Police announced Wednesday night that 60-year-old Joseph Marquez has been taken into custody.
Marquez was wanted for questioning in connection to a shooting that occurred Tuesday morning at the Wasatch Inn, located at 1416 S. State Street. The 38-year-old victim, who has not been identified, remains in critical condition, according to a Salt Lake City Police news release.
Police say an argument over a cigarette led to the shooting. Marquez has been booked into jail for investigation of attempted murder, obstruction of justice and unlawful transaction of a firearm by a restricted person.
Tuesday night, police arrested 71-year-old Thomas Leroy Glasker for his involvement in the incident. Police say Glasker allegedly provided Marquez with the weapon and then allegedly helped him flee the area.
“An extraordinary amount of work goes into keeping our city safe,” said Chief Mike Brown in a news release. “Much of that work is out of public view. It includes our crime analysts, our victim advocates, our social workers and our detectives. I cannot stress enough – our patrol officers and specialty units – like our bike squads, are in our community every day working to proactively reduce crime. I am proud of their work and commitment to public safety. We would not be at this point in this investigation had it not been for the unrelenting work of our police officers and detectives who dropped everything to chase down the suspect in this case. They have my deep gratitude and I hope the community.”
- Shooting suspect at large in Salt Lake City, one other individual in custody
- Salt Lake City Police respond to five different incidents with weapons
Today’s Top Stories
- Update: Some I-15 lanes reopen after hazmat spill in Bluffdale
- After celebrity death to colon cancer, Utah doctor weighs in on colonoscopy
- Provo Police looking for information about two cars in deadly hit-and-run
- SWAT standoff in Tooele ends peacefully, no further threat to public
- WNBA star Brittney Griner released from Russian detention in prisoner swap for convicted arms dealer
- Sundance Film Festival is seeking volunteers for 2023 event
- Natural Resources helicopter crashes in San Juan County, no injuries
- West Jordan Elementary School is closing its gates after 40 years
- Downtown Ogden expansion project begins finalizing plans
- Crashes and bad weather cause traffic across Utah