Police identify suspect arrested in connection with weekend SWAT incident
SALT LAKE CITY — On Saturday, Oct. 15, a 29-year-old man was arrested in connection with a shooting that prompted a SWAT team response.
The suspect, identified as Vaioleti Mafi, is in the Salt Lake County Metro Jail on suspicion of numerous felony charges.
Police suspect Mafi of aggravated burglary, aggravated assault, felony discharge of a firearm, possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person, domestic violence in the presence of a child and misdemeanor possession or use of a controlled substance.
Initially, officers thought there was at least one other person inside the apartment. But in a press release, detectives confirmed they did not have another suspect involved in this incident.
Police did confirm that Mafi knew the victim/ Police allege Mafi broke into his family’s apartment, got into an altercation with at least one person and then allegedly fired a gun into the unit.
Today’s Top Stories
- Lehi building placed on false lockdown after report of unconcealed gun
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral
- BYU students win international award for video game
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Senate passes Romney-sponsored bill to fund Great Salt Lake study
- Snowball Express arrives at Salt Lake City Airport
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?
- Salt Lake City Police Department hosts holiday Pay-it-Forward event
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success