CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Police identify suspect arrested in connection with weekend SWAT incident
SALT LAKE CITY — On Saturday, Oct. 15, a 29-year-old man was arrested in connection with a shooting that prompted a SWAT team response.
The suspect, identified as Vaioleti Mafi, is in the Salt Lake County Metro Jail on suspicion of numerous felony charges.
Police suspect Mafi of aggravated burglary, aggravated assault, felony discharge of a firearm, possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person, domestic violence in the presence of a child and misdemeanor possession or use of a controlled substance.
Initially, officers thought there was at least one other person inside the apartment. But in a press release, detectives confirmed they did not have another suspect involved in this incident.
Police did confirm that Mafi knew the victim/ Police allege Mafi broke into his family’s apartment, got into an altercation with at least one person and then allegedly fired a gun into the unit.
Man arrested for allegedly trying to entice two juvenile girls to go with him
Experts discuss combating gun violence across partisan lines
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Body found at 600N, I-15 Southbound
- Utah’s COVID-19 transmissions slowed but still present
- KSL EXCLUSIVE: “It’s been a punch to the gut,” Woods Cross mom of boy…
- Clearfield power and traffic alert
- Robbery at swap meet leaves one victim shaken up
- Salt Lake County Animal Services looking for a home for Amy Swinehouse
- Full interlodge in effect for Alta and Snowbird ski area
- Woods Cross man charged for allegedly secretly recording others in bathroom
- Not everyone is a fan of Utah’s new state flag
- Winter-like temperatures sticking around