CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
DWR is asking for help from Utahns in new poaching investigation
Oct 19, 2022, 1:00 PM | Updated: 1:29 pm
(Utah Division of Wildlife Resources)
SEVIER COUNTY, Utah — A new investigation into a poaching incident is underway and DWR (Division of Wildlife Resources) is asking for the public’s help.
Two bull elk were shot, killed and wasted in Sevier County on two different occasions. The first was on Oct. 8, which was the opening day of the spike bull hunt. According to a press release, the animal was found next to a cedar tree near an open sagebrush area.
The second and larger bull elk was killed sometime around Oct. 12. The animal was shot with a small caliber bullet.
Neither animal was used for meat. Instead, the DWR said both were left to waste, which Utah law said it is illegal. Both were shot at the Browns Hole area on Fishlake Mountain.
If you have any information regarding the investigation, police have asked you to contact them in the following ways.
- By calling the UTiP Hotline at 800-662-3337
- The UTDWR Law Enforcement app
- By texting 847411
- 11 Utahns to be chosen for special hunting permit
- DWR gives tips on how to avoid hitting deer on the road this fall
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Two people killed in road rage crash near Eagle Mountain are identified
- Utah House leader signals change to special election law to fill Rep. Stewart’s seat
- Kouri Richins family satisfied with partial gag order issued in case, says spokesman
- Teenager drowns at Palisade State Park after getting caught in storm, officials say
- Gov. Cox says he’s willing to call a special session to change Utah special election law
- Salt Lake City police investigate after fatal overnight shooting outside of New Yorker night club
- Man nearly drowns at Gunlock Falls
- Four killed, including toddler, after plane crashed in Virginia
- Witnesses report motorcycle passenger firing at silver car on NB I-15