Sugar House apartment building evacuated as nearby construction site burns
SALT LAKE CITY — Hundreds of people were evacuated overnight after a four-alarm fire in Sugar House. The blaze broke out at a construction site near 1040 East and 2200 South in Sugar House.
The fire began Tuesday night around 11 p.m.
Residents who were evacuated were offered shelter at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints stake building at 2005 South 900 East.
1040 East 2220 south 4th alarm fire.
Steered clear of the area. Heavy smoke and high danger surrounding fire. PIO on scene. Media staging in front of Whole Foods market parking lot 1131 E Wilmington pic.twitter.com/vIQVBq3I74
— Salt Lake City Fire Department (@slcfire) October 26, 2022
The fire consumed an apartment under construction. Reports state there were explosions and collapsing floors.
Firefighters chose to fight defensively since it was uninhabited. They said they focused on keeping the fire from spreading to nearby buildings.
Although no one has yet been reported as injured, hundreds had to evacuate, including Preston Rush.
Rush says he didn’t get any sleep, but he and others that went to the Forest Dale Golf Course clubhouse are doing well.
“They had snacks, beverages and coffee for everyone, [we’ve] all been in pretty good spirits,” said Rush.
Red Cross officials say as many as 70 people went to the clubhouse in the middle of the night. Others said they were able to stay with family or other places.
This is breaking news and will be updated. Amie Schaeffer contributed to this article.
Today’s Top Stories
- Lehi building placed on false lockdown after report of unconcealed gun
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral
- BYU students win international award for video game
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?
- Snowball Express arrives at Salt Lake City Airport
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- Senate passes Romney-sponsored bill to fund Great Salt Lake study
- Salt Lake City Police Department hosts holiday Pay-it-Forward event
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success