SALT LAKE CITY
Sugar House apartment building evacuated as nearby construction site burns
SALT LAKE CITY — Hundreds of people were evacuated overnight after a four-alarm fire in Sugar House. The blaze broke out at a construction site near 1040 East and 2200 South in Sugar House.
The fire began Tuesday night around 11 p.m.
Residents who were evacuated were offered shelter at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints stake building at 2005 South 900 East.
1040 East 2220 south 4th alarm fire.
Steered clear of the area. Heavy smoke and high danger surrounding fire. PIO on scene. Media staging in front of Whole Foods market parking lot 1131 E Wilmington pic.twitter.com/vIQVBq3I74
— Salt Lake City Fire Department (@slcfire) October 26, 2022
The fire consumed an apartment under construction. Reports state there were explosions and collapsing floors.
Firefighters chose to fight defensively since it was uninhabited. They said they focused on keeping the fire from spreading to nearby buildings.
Although no one has yet been reported as injured, hundreds had to evacuate, including Preston Rush.
Rush says he didn’t get any sleep, but he and others that went to the Forest Dale Golf Course clubhouse are doing well.
“They had snacks, beverages and coffee for everyone, [we’ve] all been in pretty good spirits,” said Rush.
Red Cross officials say as many as 70 people went to the clubhouse in the middle of the night. Others said they were able to stay with family or other places.
This is breaking news and will be updated. Amie Schaeffer contributed to this article.
- Major I-15 delays expected Tuesday night into Wednesday morning
- Flight operations resumed Tuesday at Hill Air Force Base
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Drug Enforcement Administration warns of new substance appearing in Utah
- Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square will be joined by international singers this weekend
- Lawyers of man who lost lawsuit against Gwyneth Paltrow may try for new trial
- Meteorologist says only a couple more weeks of snow and rain
- Emergency prep: Preparing for the unexpected and learning to prep
- Alta wins the race to 800 inches, more snow expected Friday afternoon
- Utah company with ties to polygamous group cited for violating child labor laws
- The search for the caller behind Utah’s 13 school hoaxes
- What lies behind lies? One polygraph expert shares his experience with them
- General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints