Experts suggest increasing savings to prepare for retirement
SALT LAKE CITY – As many Americans are dealing with record-high inflation, they find it harder to prepare for retirement by bulking up their savings. Which makes it harder for them to take experts’ advice when it comes to putting enough away for retirement.
Experts say the typical American will need around $1 million for retirement, but now the estimated total is around $1.25 million.
Deseret Mutual Benefit Administrators financial advisor, Shane Stewart, told KSL NewsRadio’s Dave & Dujanovic that the number depends on a few factors.
“You could actually live on less (than you’re living on now) in retirement if you’re careful because right now it’s likely you have debt while working,” Stewart said.
Stewart told KSL NewsRadio that if you prepare for retirement by paying off all debts and have some type of income stream, like social security, you won’t need a million bucks in the bank to retire.
If that million-dollar mark is daunting, it might help to look at retirement in a different way.
“Don’t focus on that number so much as what can you do, and really, what are you going to do in retirement. Because that number ($1 million) is pie in the sky.”
NASDAQ reports that many adults believe they should have ten times their annual salary in retirement savings. Another retirement goal is saving about 15% of their yearly salary.
Whether that is realistic may be judged the average amount that Americans have currently saved for retirement, which NASDAQ reports is a little more than $86,800.
Contributing: Alejandro Lucero and Simone Seikaly
- 401K planning: When is a good time to start thinking about retirement?
- Retired people are returning to the workforce in droves
Today’s Top Stories
- Man crashes into Ogden Taco Bell drive-thru window
- Trash can on fire at home in the Cottonwoods, safely extinguished
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Crash on I-15 in Draper leaves one dead
- Frontier Airlines no longer has a customer service phone line
- American Red Cross of Utah seeks volunteers in central Utah
- Six new Latter-day Saint missions to launch in 2023
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- Clearfield Police identify victims in Wednesday’s double homicide
- Fugitive taken into custody following SWAT stand-off in Taylorsville