POLITICS + GOVERNMENT
Utah seeing low early voter turnout
Nov 1, 2022, 7:30 AM | Updated: 1:33 pm
SALT LAKE CITY — There’s just one week until election day and early voter turnout numbers aren’t very encouraging.
According to the state elections office, only about 12% of voters had returned their ballots as of Monday morning.
Utah County Clerk Josh Daniels said besides the senate race, there’s not a lot of races driving people to vote.
“We’re on track for certainly a lower turnout than the 2020 presidential election, and perhaps a even a lower turnout than the last midterm election. in 2018,” said Daniels.
Another reason for the low turnout is this year’s ballot doesn’t have any major initiatives on it and there’s no presidential race driving people to vote.
Voters have until Monday, Nov. 7 to put their ballot in the mail or in a Dropbox by Tuesday.
“We don’t have anything to really compare this election to because in 2014, we had traditional polling places, and that isn’t a good comparison,” said Salt Lake Clerk Sherrie Swenson.
However, clerks say that large amounts of ballots typically come in this weekend and on election day.
- Benefits of getting ballots in early
- Follow the Ballot: Multiple security features accompany Utah mail-in ballots
- Utah primary election: Acceptable ID to bring for in-person voting
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Candidates starting to line up as potential replacement for Rep. Stewart
- SLC Ballpark ‘Next Design’ competition winners announced
- Becky Edwards announces her intent to run to represent Utah’s 2nd Congressional District
- Here’s how Utah’s 4 congressmen voted on the debt ceiling bill
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- U of U Health, Regence insurance warn they may not reach a contract
- Congressman Chris Stewart announces resignation
- Sen. Lee says he will vote no on debt ceiling agreement
- Woman barricades herself inside West Jordan home, then arrested
- Lori Vallow Daybell shrugs after being handed docs about delivering up her kids, video shows