Man arrested for murder in weekend shooting outside nightclub in Salt Lake
SALT LAKE CITY — A Southern Utah man has been arrested and booked into jail in connection with the shooting death of a Salt Lake City woman over the weekend.
Nichole Olsen, 29, was shot and killed outside a nightclub near 300 S. West Temple in Salt Lake City around 2 a.m. Sunday. Police have arrested 37-year-old Dustin Pedersen in connection with her murder.
According to SLCPD, Pedersen turned himself into the Kane County Sheriff’s Office on Monday, reportedly admitting to firing the shot that killed Olsen. Kane County says Pedersen told them he “fired a single round from his gun to scare people off during the fight inside the parking lot.”
According to police documents, as officers began responding to the 911 call, someone had already put Olsen in their car, driving her to the hospital at the University of Utah.
Police and detectives believe Olsen spent some of her night at a nightclub downtown with her boyfriend. While there, Olsen’s boyfriend got into an argument with a group of people – which included Pedersen.
Because of the fight, police reported the nightclub’s security asked Pedersen and his friend to leave. Later, police say a fight broke out between Pedersen’s friend and Olsen’s boyfriend after the two groups ran into each other again in a parking lot.
Pedersen, who was driving a BMW, allegedly fired a gun and fled with his friend.
Police learned the BMW was Pedersen’s after reviewing surveillance video. SLCPD also received a call from the Kane County Sheriff’s Office reporting Pedersen wanted to turn himself.
This is a developing story and will be updated.
Today’s Top Stories
- Vivint Smart Home acquired for $2.8 billion by NRG Energy
- UDOT wants public comments for proposed Orem expansion
- Trump Organization convicted in executive tax dodge scheme
- A 4-day workweek is working for Provo government
- Three toys recalled in U.S. for excessive lead paint
- Utah Tech student dies after falling from fifth-story balcony
- Suspected criminals on Zillow listing Utah homes for sale without homeowners’ knowledge
- Lawsuit against Arches National Park after incident resulting in the death of a woman
- Kirstie Alley, ‘Cheers’ and ‘Veronica’s Closet’ star, dead at 71
- Great Salt Lake, moisture created Tuesday’s commuter fog and maybe Wednesday’s