American Red Cross of Utah seeks volunteers in central Utah
SALT LAKE CITY — In wake of the fire in Richfield that displaced 35 families earlier this week, the American Red Cross of Utah is seeking additional volunteers from central Utah.
“Disaster Action Team volunteers help communities prepare for and avert emergencies,” said Benjamin Donner, executive director of the American Red Cross of Central and Southern Utah Chapter in a news release. “They help families with immediate needs after a home fire or other disaster and offer support during difficult times. We’re looking for Sevier, Emery, and Sanpete County residents to join this specialized Red Cross team and help us respond when their neighbors are in need.”
Area volunteers responded to Monday’s fire to assist those families that were impacted. However, those volunteers came from a good distance away to help.
“But many of our volunteers had to drive more than two hours to the disaster site,” Donner said. “We’re hoping to find more locals to help provide support to their neighbors and friends.”
A home fire is the most frequent disaster that Red Cross volunteers respond to, according to a news release. Additionally, volunteers respond to other disasters such as floods and wildfires.
Local volunteers usually help people they know such as neighbors, friends or even family members.
“For those receiving help, a personal connection to an emergency responder can make all the difference,” Donner said. “Please join with the Red Cross so that when disasters happen – in Richfield, Monroe, Salina – your neighbors get the help they need from a familiar face.”
For more information on becoming volunteer, click here.
Today’s Top Stories
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Backcountry skier dead after fatal fall in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- More than 3,400 dead as powerful quake hits southern Turkey and Syria
- Bill permitting pregnant people to use HOV lane passes House
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- 2 arrested in central California shooting that left 6 dead, including mother clutching…
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- Evacuations ordered amid fears of an explosion as an Ohio train continues burning days after…