KSL Greenhouse: How to manage houseplant pests
SALT LAKE CITY — This time of the year it can be easy for pests to enter your house and infect your houseplants as you are taking some plants indoors to protect them from the winter.
On this week’s episode of the KSL Greenhouse Show, host Maria Shilaos and Taun Beddes go over how to maintain and manage houseplants from pests.
Common houseplant pests
One of the most common insects you can find in your home is the small black flies according to Taun. “They are common when you overwater your plants,” says Taun.
When we continue to water the plants indoors over the winter the same amount as in the summer, the soil will be too wet allowing larvae to feed on organic matter, and this will cause flies to be more common in the winter.
Taun recommends letting the plants dry out to kill the larvae and get rid of the flies.
Managing other common pests
Insects like spider mites, mealybugs, whiteflies, or scales can also damage our houseplants. These pests are often brought in from either store or the outside.
“When you are purchasing a house plant, you need to actually inspect it. Look under the leaves, look on the stems, look on the soil,” Taun recommends. Doing this at the store can save you the headache of finding out later once they are in your house.
Taun recommends suppressing the pests instead of using hard chemicals to get rid of the insects. Using horticultural soaps and oils as a preventative is the best way to prevent pests and maintain houseplants.
Listen to our latest podcast for more tips on managing and maintaining your houseplants.
The KSL Greenhouse is on every Saturday from 8-11 a.m. You can follow the show on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.
Today’s Top Stories
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Backcountry skier dead after fatal fall in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- More than 2,700 dead as powerful quake hits southern Turkey and Syria
- Bill permitting pregnant people to use HOV lane passes House
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- 2 arrested in central California shooting that left 6 dead, including mother clutching…
- Evacuations ordered amid fears of an explosion as an Ohio train continues burning days after…
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon