Sugar House locals worry 2100 South poses threat to safety and business
SALT LAKE CITY — As Salt Lake City prepares to rebuild 2100 South, local businesses in Sugar House are asking that safety for foot traffic be a top priority. This comes after complaints that the area’s main strip of the road is too dangerous.
Salt Lake City is preparing to revamp 2100 S. between 700 E. and 1300 E. 2100 South runs through the middle of Sugar house.
According to locals, the road’s narrow footpaths and lack of dedicated left and right turning lanes cause trouble for foot and bike traffic. Small business owners want to see Sugar House return to a shopping and eating destination that promotes walking and cycling. They are concerned that the safety risks 2100 South poses are making people think twice about visiting.
“Even just crossing the street from my place to go visit our friends, with a crosswalk there [and] with a light, it’s still terrifying,” Hopkins Brewing Company owner Chad Hopkins says. “I’ve almost been hit many times.”
Hopkins says the road does not fit the style of the area.
“It’s kind of chaotic,” he says. “It’s four lanes… [and] very narrow. There’s no room for turn lanes, for bike lanes or anything.”
Devin Oldroyd contributed to this article.
- Salt Lake City asks for public input on 2100 South reconstruction
- Cause of Sugar House fire could remain unknown another month
- Some businesses near Sugar House fire may take weeks to reopen
- Salt Lake is considering closing messy section of 2100 South
- Salt Lake Chamber urges business to prepare for slowing economy
Today’s Top Stories
- US military has shot down the Chinese spy balloon off US East Coast, US official says
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Backcountry skier dead after fatal fall in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- AirMed responds to tubing accident in Peter Sinks, Logan
- More than 3,400 dead as powerful quake hits southern Turkey and Syria
- Bill permitting pregnant people to use HOV lane passes House
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- 2 arrested in central California shooting that left 6 dead, including mother clutching…
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- Evacuations ordered amid fears of an explosion as an Ohio train continues burning days after…