Nebraska gas clerk credited with notifying police of missing Layton teen
Lt. Travis Lyman, of the Layton Police Department, told Utah’s Morning News that Grand Island Police identified 13-year-old Evan McConney. Nebraska police also took 26-year-old Aaron Zemen into custody after the gas station attendant called the police.
Nebraska gas clerk alerted police
“The gas station attendant there saw this car, that we put out that they were in, was spending a little more time there than was usual,” Lyman said. “So, they called the local police department.”
It was originally thought the pair may be traveling to either Texas or Arizona.
Lyman said it was expected that the 13-year-old would be reunited with his family on Wednesday.
“We couldn’t be happier about the outcome,” Lyman said. “This one had the potential to really be, to really have a different outcome.”
Police say the teenager had been talking to the suspect through a gaming device for weeks. Police say Zemen then drove to Utah to allegedly entice McConney.
“It really is challenging for parents to keep up with all of these different options,” Lyman said.
A growing problem
Lyman says this is a problem that is happening far too often.
“Sadly, this type of communication, grooming and enticement that appears happened in this case is more common than you think,” he said.
Police say McConney appears to be doing well. Police also say they are eager to talk to the suspect to find out where they were traveling to.
Mark Jones contributed to this article.
- Child found minutes after AMBER Alert issued, suspect still outstanding
- Arrests by SLCPD cancel 8-month old Amber Alert
Today’s Top Stories
- GoFundMe created for passing of two employees at Northrop Grumman
- Full-sized Target coming to former Dillard’s at Provo’s Towne Centre
- Home schools and micro-schooling defined under new Utah bill
- Biden to test run his reelection message in his first State of the Union to a divided Congress
- Winning over Americans? Poll says President Biden has work to do
- Utah hasn’t had this much snowfall since 2011, according to NWS
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Salt Lake City police arrest man after road rage incident, involving a gun
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- Is illness or poor air quality causing that cough?