Potholes getting on your nerves? UDOT’s new app can help
SALT LAKE CITY — The winter weather is adding another hazard to go along with slick roads for drivers; potholes. But, the Utah Department of Transportation has an app Utahns can use to report the hazards.
Drivers can report any potholes they see on the UDOT App Click ‘n Fix.
“You can drop a pin where those potholes are and if it’s on our road, we’ll go out and address them,” said UDOT spokesman John Gleason, reminding drivers that UDOT can only repair state-controlled roads.
Snowplows, salt, and freezing water all contribute to our pothole problems. said any water that gets under cracks in the road expands as it freezes, causing the asphalt to start chipping away.
Gleason called potholes a safety concern, with the potential to cause crashes as well as damage to vehicles.
He said technicians are working as hard as they can to repair the hazards, but can only do so if they know the pothole’s location.
Repairing potholes can be tricky
Once UDOT knows about the problem, Gleason said repair crews work as quickly as possible to get them fixed.
“For safety purposes, we want to make sure we’re addressing those potholes when we can.”
It’s not always easy. The rain and snow make it difficult for crews sometimes.
“We have to pick our moments where it is a little bit drier. Even though we’re seeing all of this winter weather, we have to go out there and give it time to bond,” he said.
Even if it’s just a temporary fix, Gleason said the Click ‘n Fix app helps crews pinpoint what needs work.
UDOT’s app is available on the App Store and the Google Play Store.
Today’s Top Stories
- GoFundMe created for passing of two employees at Northrop Grumman
- Full-sized Target coming to former Dillard’s at Provo’s Towne Centre
- Home schools and micro-schooling defined under new Utah bill
- Biden to test run his reelection message in his first State of the Union to a divided Congress
- Utah hasn’t had this much snowfall since 2011, according to NWS
- Winning over Americans? Poll says President Biden has work to do
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Salt Lake City police arrest man after road rage incident, involving a gun
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- Is illness or poor air quality causing that cough?