POLITICS + GOVERNMENT
Senate committee gives ok for chamber to hear two different bills centered on trans youth
Jan 17, 2023, 7:30 PM | Updated: Jan 18, 2023, 4:47 pm
(Kira Hoffelmeyer/ KSL NewsRadio)
Listen for updates:
SALT LAKE CITY — A Utah Senate committee gave the okay for the full chamber to hear both a bill on banning transgender-related surgeries and another bill centered on transgender youth Wednesday afternoon.
Two other bills addressing concerns around transgender youth are scheduled to be debated Wednesday, the second day of the 2023 Utah Legislative Session.
Sen. Mike Kennedy (R-Alpine) has a bill that would punish doctors who perform transgender-related surgeries on minors. An amendment to his bill would add restrictions on puberty blockers.
“I want this bill to be firm,” he said. “I want it to be responsible and I want it to be compassionate.”
In the future, he insists that the law will only change the rules between patients and doctors.
Additionally, Kennedy admits this could be opening the door to lawsuits.
The Health and Human Services Committee will also hear debate on two other transgender-related bills. The first prevents minors from changing their birth certificates. The second prohibits schools from allowing students to change their preferred pronouns without the permission of a parent.
- New bill to punish doctors who provide transgender-related medical care to minors
- Both sides sound off on transgender athletes commission
- Trans woman makes history in Sanpete County with gender change
- Utah Legislature hopes to address school choice this session
- Transgender girls can compete in Utah with commission approval after judge pauses ban
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- New Great Salt Lake commissioner says he hopes Utah avoids ‘Great Salt Lake fatigue’
- Rattlesnakes are appearing on Utah trails, around homes later than normal
- Hydrologist optimistic about Salt Lake County runoff picture as thunderstorm threat looms
- Video: Sugar House man notices sinkhole of “unknown depth” in front yard, at a…
- Utah historian uncovers artifacts from 1983 floods
- Pilot crashes small plane in southern Utah after buying it from Nevada, officials say
- Lori Vallow Daybell shrugs after being handed docs about delivering up her kids, video shows
- How To Plan a Business Retreat in Bear Lake This Spring
- U.S. Department of Labor is suing the Chinatown Supermarket in Salt Lake
- Plane makes emergency landing in West Jordan, no injuries reported