Senate committee gives ok for chamber to hear two different bills centered on trans youth
Listen for updates:
SALT LAKE CITY — A Utah Senate committee gave the okay for the full chamber to hear both a bill on banning transgender-related surgeries and another bill centered on transgender youth Wednesday afternoon.
Two other bills addressing concerns around transgender youth are scheduled to be debated Wednesday, the second day of the 2023 Utah Legislative Session.
Sen. Mike Kennedy (R-Alpine) has a bill that would punish doctors who perform transgender-related surgeries on minors. An amendment to his bill would add restrictions on puberty blockers.
“I want this bill to be firm,” he said. “I want it to be responsible and I want it to be compassionate.”
In the future, he insists that the law will only change the rules between patients and doctors.
Additionally, Kennedy admits this could be opening the door to lawsuits.
The Health and Human Services Committee will also hear debate on two other transgender-related bills. The first prevents minors from changing their birth certificates. The second prohibits schools from allowing students to change their preferred pronouns without the permission of a parent.
- New bill to punish doctors who provide transgender-related medical care to minors
- Both sides sound off on transgender athletes commission
- Trans woman makes history in Sanpete County with gender change
- Utah Legislature hopes to address school choice this session
- Transgender girls can compete in Utah with commission approval after judge pauses ban
Today’s Top Stories
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Weather causing delayed starts for several schools across Utah
- Governor Spencer Cox signs transgender bill, releases statement
- Jordan High student killed in Sandy crosswalk by school bus
- Three vehicle crash in Sanpete County leaves one dead
- Utah leading a lawsuit against new ESG rule affecting 401(k) plans
- Two Republicans voted against bill banning transgender-related surgery, here’s why
- Trump says he’s ‘more angry’ and ‘more committed’ to White…
- SLC restaurant “Manoli’s” nominated for James Beard Award
- Engineer who refused to approve Challenger launch dies in Ogden