POLITICS + GOVERNMENT
Sen. Lee quotes Taylor Swift lyrics during Ticket Master/Live Nation hearing
Jan 24, 2023, 8:00 PM
(AP Photo/Rick Bowmer, File)
SALT LAKE CITY — Who knew Sen. Mike Lee is a swiftie? The senator quoted Taylor Swift lyrics multiple times at a senate committee hearing Tuesday.
The hearing focused on the chaos Taylor Swift fans faced while buying tickets for the singer’s upcoming Eras Tour, which is set to kick off in March. Many fans found themselves kicked out of Ticket Master, saw fluctuating prices and missed out on tickets within minutes of them being sold, only to have prices jump up thousands of dollars.
“The ticketing market in the United States is a complex industry,” Lee said during the hearing. “Involving artists, agents, promoters, venues, primary and secondary ticketing companies and, of course, fans.”
Lee’s comments focus on concerns that Ticker Master’s parent company Live Nation isn’t being held accountable to protect competition. During the three-hour hearing, the senator said the problem comes from an Obama Administration agreement that allows the two companies to merge.
Along with this, the senator, of course, quoted Swift’s lyrics many times.
“She’s cheer captain,” Lee said. “And I’m on the bleachers.”
Devin Oldroyd contributed to this article.
- Taylor Swift: Ticketmaster fiasco ‘excruciating for me’
- Certain Taylor Swift fans could have a second chance at tickets
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- New Great Salt Lake commissioner says he hopes Utah avoids ‘Great Salt Lake fatigue’
- Rattlesnakes are appearing on Utah trails, around homes later than normal
- Hydrologist optimistic about Salt Lake County runoff picture as thunderstorm threat looms
- Video: Sugar House man notices sinkhole of “unknown depth” in front yard, at a…
- Utah historian uncovers artifacts from 1983 floods
- Pilot crashes small plane in southern Utah after buying it from Nevada, officials say
- Lori Vallow Daybell shrugs after being handed docs about delivering up her kids, video shows
- How To Plan a Business Retreat in Bear Lake This Spring
- U.S. Department of Labor is suing the Chinatown Supermarket in Salt Lake
- Plane makes emergency landing in West Jordan, no injuries reported