POLITICS + GOVERNMENT
George Santos wants off of his committees until issues are resolved
(CNN) — Rep. George Santos told the House GOP conference on Tuesday behind closed doors he wants off of his two committees until his issues are resolved, three members told CNN.
The New York Republican who has faced calls for his resignation for false statements — including regarding his professional experience, education history and identity — is a member of the Committee on Science, Space, and Technology and the Committee on Small Business. Federal prosecutors are also investigating Santos’ finances, and he continues to face a myriad of questions about his personal finances.
He was first elected last fall.
Santos declined to speak to reporters as he left the meeting.
Santos met with House Speaker Kevin McCarthy on Monday night.
Republican Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia told CNN that it was Santos’ decision that he made on his own to “abstain” from the committees. She said he told the conference he would step aside from the committees as the GOP is trying to oust Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar of Minnesota from the Foreign Affairs Committee.
“He just felt like there was so much drama really over the situation, and especially what we’re doing to work to remove Ilhan Omar from the Foreign Affairs Committee,” she told CNN.
She added: “But Mr. Santos’ statement in there was just saying that he spoke with Speaker McCarthy and made this decision on his own.”
This story is breaking and will be updated.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts
- A third person has died after a multi-car crash in Box Elder
- Nashville school shooter had drawn maps, done surveillance
- Lake effect snow causes school delays, remote learning in northern Utah
- Man suing Gwyneth Paltrow for $300,000+ to testify in Utah ski crash trial
- Wrong way driver leads to fatal crash in Weber County
- One person trapped following avalanche in Pole Canyon
- Monday morning commute could be affected by additional inches of snow
- Salt Lake County Animal Services looking for a home for Amy Swinehouse
- Sandy Police officer involved in fatal shooting