POLITICS + GOVERNMENT
Equality Utah supports bill clarifying rules for therapists when it comes to conversion therapy for minors
SALT LAKE CITY — Equality Utah is supporting a bill adjusting rules for therapists when it comes to conversion therapy for minors. The LGBTQ+ group has agreed to a compromise on the bill.
The group says it is supportive of a bill substitute that continues to ban conversion therapy in Utah for anyone under the age of 18. H.B. 228 also clarifies that therapists are able to talk about gender identity.
The bill’s sponsor Rep. Mike Petersen (R-Logan) says he’s spoken to counselors who were confused with the ambiguity of the current law. This bill clarifies that therapists, for example, can talk with minors who have gender dysphoria. They can explain to a minor the impacts of identifying as their birth gender or not and how that would impact their physical and mental health.
“I am happy to sponsor this important legislation which provides clarity for professionals while continuing to protect Utah’s LGBTQ+ youth,” Petersen said in a statement.
Along with its support, Equality Utah had this to say in a statement Monday:
“At the outset, Equality Utah would like to thank the sponsors and involved lawmakers, Rep. Petersen, Rep. Brammer, Senator Bramble, and others, for being open to thoughtful conversation on this challenging topic. We’ve had important dialogue and have shared our concerns openly, and for that we are grateful.”
The group continues:
“The [second] sub continues to prohibit the very dangerous practice of conversion therapy for minors, while providing greater clarification for Utah therapists, and accordingly, we support the advancement of HB 228 as amended.”
H.B. 228 has passed the House Committee and is on its way to a full house vote.
Devin Oldroyd contributed to this story.
- Proposed change to conversion therapy law concerns LGBTQ+ advocates
- Legislative committee discusses rule banning conversion therapy
- Bill would require buildings to post signs for events meant for adults
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Body found at 600N, I-15 Southbound
- KSL EXCLUSIVE: “It’s been a punch to the gut,” Woods Cross mom of boy…
- Clearfield power and traffic alert
- Utah’s COVID-19 transmissions slowed but still present
- Robbery at swap meet leaves one victim shaken up
- Full interlodge in effect for Alta and Snowbird ski area
- Winter-like temperatures sticking around
- Woods Cross man charged for allegedly secretly recording others in bathroom
- Salt Lake carjacking suspect dead, investigation continues
- What you can do about snow mold in your lawn