BUSINESS + ECONOMY
Utah gas prices spike, Governor blames regional supply
SALT LAKE CITY– Utah’s gas prices have soared over the past month, up 44 cents according to AAA. In just the past week, prices rose 20 cents in the Beehive State.
As of Tuesday morning, Utah’s statewide average was $3.69 per gallon, 24 cents above the national average of $3.45 per gallon.
Gov. Spencer Cox blames regional supply for the abrupt jump in fuel prices.
In a statement, Cox said prices were normalizing when a Utah refinery closed for annual maintenance, which is now taking longer than expected.
The governor also noted a refinery in Colorado shut down in December due to equipment malfunctions but will hopefully be back up and running in March.
“Unfortunately, this comes on top of an increase in natural gas prices, and we’re very concerned about those struggling to make ends meet,” the statement said.
The governor is reminding people that they can get energy assistance if they are living 150% or more below the poverty line.
Nationally, gas prices shot up over the past month, but have started to drop over the past seven days.
Another jump in gas prices on top of an increase in natural gas prices has us very concerned, especially for those struggling to make ends meet.
We will continue working with our energy partners to keep energy available and affordable. Read more ⬇️https://t.co/nvoJ2VVXzw
— Utah Gov. Spencer J. Cox (@GovCox) February 6, 2023
- Gas prices on the rise in Utah and across the nation, likely to stay that way
- Will Biden’s plan to tap national reserve lower gas prices?
- AAA says US drivers waste $2.1 billion on premium gasoline every year
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- 3 children, 3 adults fatally shot at Nashville grade school
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts
- Lake effect snow causes school delays, remote learning in northern Utah
- Fatal car accident in Box Elder
- Man suing Gwyneth Paltrow for $300,000+ to testify in Utah ski crash trial
- Monday morning commute could be affected by additional inches of snow
- Wrong way driver leads to fatal crash in Weber County
- Sandy Police officer involved in fatal shooting
- Salt Lake County Animal Services looking for a home for Amy Swinehouse
- Where to get your free sandbags to help mitigate flooding