POLITICS + GOVERNMENT
New bill seeks clarity about gun usage and controlled substances
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah Legislative committees are looking into several gun bills this week. One bill seeks to clarify what substances can be in your system when using a firearm.
The bill, sponsored by Rep. Jason Kyle, R-Salt Lake City, is called “Weapon possession while under the influence.”
The Senate Judiciary, Law Enforcement, and Criminal Justice Committee agreed that the bill, H.B. 103, had a scary title, but passed it unanimously Tuesday.
The bill focuses on prescribed medication. Kyle argues that current codes about using firearms while on a controlled substance are too broad.
“It treats all controlled substances the same,” Kyle said.
The bill seeks to allow exceptions for those on prescribed controlled substances. A person with a valid prescription would need to take the substance as prescribed, be able to safely handle a weapon and must not be a danger to themselves or others.
“I don’t think it’s a good idea for them [gun owners] to have to choose between their health and their second amendment right,” Kyle said.
The bill now goes to the full House for debate.
Home schools and micro-schooling defined under new Utah bill
Equality Utah supports bill clarifying rules for therapists when it comes to conversion therapy for minors
Bill permitting pregnant people to use HOV lane passes House
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Body found at 600N, I-15 Southbound
- KSL EXCLUSIVE: “It’s been a punch to the gut,” Woods Cross mom of boy…
- Clearfield power and traffic alert
- Robbery at swap meet leaves one victim shaken up
- Utah’s COVID-19 transmissions slowed but still present
- Full interlodge in effect for Alta and Snowbird ski area
- Winter-like temperatures sticking around
- Woods Cross man charged for allegedly secretly recording others in bathroom
- Salt Lake carjacking suspect dead, investigation continues
- What you can do about snow mold in your lawn