CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Man arrested for suspicion of arson in Orem house fire
Mar 23, 2023, 7:32 AM
OREM, Utah — Authorities suspect arson as the cause of a house fire in Orem on Wednesday morning. And police have arrested Daniel Richard Johnson in connection with the fire.
The two residents were able to escape.
Johnson reportedly admitted to authorities that he started the fire. A probable cause statement lists one charge of arson and two charges of attempted murder.
The fire in the area of 900 East 1000 North was reported to the Orem Fire Department around 4 a.m. on March 22, 2023. The fire destroyed a garage on the property and damaged most of the home’s roof.
According to a probable cause statement, an investigation points to arson.
Orem police obtained a search warrant for the property. There, they found four gas cans in the backyard. Additionally, investigators detected accelerants around the home.
According to the statement, the suspect threatened the residents in the days leading to the fire via text message. Furthermore, the suspect had reportedly talked to others about starting fires.
In the report, investigators noted that the suspect may have issues with mental illness.
Unified Police arrested of Johnson in Salt Lake County. Orem detectives transferred the suspect to their jurisdiction.
- Man evaluated after motorhome destroyed, arson investigation continues
- Lawmakers pursue mental health support for first responders
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Parts of Utah experienced a severe thunderstorm, Pride Festival back on
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- A congressional resignation, hurry sickness and the need for respectful restraint
- China’s soured milk and its impact on Utah’s dairy farmers
- Landspout forms over Salt Lake County. Here’s how that differs from a tornado
- Two men electrocuted while cutting a tree in West Jordan
- Following complaint against Bible in schools, Book of Mormon receives complaint for…
- PornHub blocks users in Utah, cites state’s age verification law
- Wildlife officials trying to trap bear after it approached a tent above Bountiful