CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
KSL EXCLUSIVE: “It’s been a punch to the gut,” Woods Cross mom of boy recorded on hidden device speaks out
Mar 23, 2023, 8:49 PM | Updated: Mar 24, 2023, 1:09 pm
(Photo credit: Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News)
WOODS CROSS, Utah — A Woods Cross mother says “it’s been a punch to the gut,” being told her son is one of the children secretly recorded on a hidden device police say the owner of USA Gymnastics World in Woods Cross hid in a bathroom at the facility.
The mother spoke to KSL NewsRadio but wanted to remain annonymous. Her son has spent the last nine years with Adam Jacobs as his coach.
“It was a man that I trusted with my son since he was five years old,” she says. “There have been … many days where he has spent more time with Adam than he has with his own family.”
The mother said she was shocked when she found out.
“I know they always say that it’s those that are close to you that are prone to do this,” she says. “But, I really never imagined anything like this happening.”
Jacobs was a co-owner of the gym with another man. The mother says he coached 10-15 boys, all teens. According to her, they feel like there has been a death after finding out about the hidden device.
“We as parents have asked hundreds of questions about Adam’s involvement with our kids.”
The mother also said she had to have a difficult conversation with her son.
“He kept saying ‘Is this real? Is this real? Are you sure it’s real,” she says. “Those boys are just as shocked as us parents.”
One person’s horrible choices
The mother says she is not going to let this stop her, or her son, from acheiving his gymnastics dreams.
“They’re in this together, they’re here for one another, they have each other, they’re not going to let this stop them, they’re going to continue their goals and, kind of, shove it in Adam’s face,” she says. “One person cannot diminish what they have worked so hard for.”
The mother wants other parents to stay vigilant.
“You have to be careful with everybody that is around your kids,” she says. “This is a man that I trusted with my kid for years, and I would have never thought that he would be one that would do these things … his actions and his horrible choices [are] not going to stop my son or my family from continuing on the path that we are with gymnastics.”
Devin Oldroyd contributed to this article.
- Woods Cross man charged for allegedly secretly recording others in bathroom
- Woods Cross man charged with torturing guinea pigs
- Overnight SWAT activity in Woods Cross leads to arrests
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- Parts of Utah experienced a severe thunderstorm, Pride Festival back on
- China’s soured milk and its impact on Utah’s dairy farmers
- Two men electrocuted while cutting a tree in West Jordan
- A congressional resignation, hurry sickness and the need for respectful restraint
- Landspout forms over Salt Lake County. Here’s how that differs from a tornado
- Two injured when semi-truck crashes through garages of complex, hits propane tank
- Following complaint against Bible in schools, Book of Mormon receives complaint for…
- Wildlife officials trying to trap bear after it approached a tent above Bountiful