DAVE & DUJANOVIC
Report: Rep. Curtis named one of most effective members of Congress
Mar 23, 2023, 9:30 PM
(File photo of Rep. John Curtis, Rick Bowmer / AP)
SALT LAKE CITY — When it comes to getting things done in Washington, D.C., Rep. John Curtis (R-Utah) is considered to be one of the most effective members of Congress. That’s according to a new report recently released.
The report lists the top 10 Democrats and Republicans in both the House and Senate. Rep. Curtis was ninth among Republican congressmen. Additionally, Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) was eighth among Republican senators.
Rep. Curtis joined Dave & Dujanovic with hosts Dave Noriega and Debbie Dujanovic on Thursday to discuss this recognition.
Dujanovic asked, “What did you do that has you labeled as one of the most effective members of Congress?”
“So you know what, there’s two principles here that I think are just very important,” Rep. Curtis said. “One is, I think we’re really good listeners. Almost every one of those pieces of legislation came about as a constituent showed us a problem and wanted help solving that problem.”
Rep. Curtis says the second principle is the team that he has in place.
“I’ve just got this incredible team,” he said. “A team that loves to legislate that measures success on effectiveness.”
Effective members of Congress and working with others
Rep. Curtis also credits his success to his ability to work across the aisle in a divided government.
“If you can’t figure out how to work across the aisle and find good people that will support you,” he said. “You’re not going to get anything done here.”
Rep. Curtis says his gold medal piece of legislation is the Emery County Public Lands Act. It was a piece of legislation that he was able to get passed early in his time as a congressman.
“It’s one of the largest public lands bills in the state’s history,” he said. “And one of the most difficult pieces of legislation that I have worked on.”
Noriega asked, “What are some lessons that I think lawmakers could learn about being an effective congressmember?”
“It’s kind of deciding what you want to do when you come here,” Rep. Curtis said. “There is a million paths that you can go. And it’s impossible to take all of them. So, you have to focus.”
The list was compiled through research conducted by the University of Virginia and Vanderbilt University.
Dave & Dujanovic can be heard weekdays from 9 a.m. to noon. on KSL NewsRadio. Users can find the show on the KSL NewsRadio website and app, as well as Apple Podcasts and Google Play.
Read more: New bill from Rep. John Curtis takes aim at devices that can record unknowing consumers
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Parts of Utah experienced a severe thunderstorm, Pride Festival back on
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- A congressional resignation, hurry sickness and the need for respectful restraint
- China’s soured milk and its impact on Utah’s dairy farmers
- Landspout forms over Salt Lake County. Here’s how that differs from a tornado
- Two men electrocuted while cutting a tree in West Jordan
- Following complaint against Bible in schools, Book of Mormon receives complaint for…
- PornHub blocks users in Utah, cites state’s age verification law
- Church announces sites for three previously announced temples