LET'S GET MOVING WITH MARIA
Is marriage the next step to your relationship?
Apr 2, 2023, 7:00 AM | Updated: 2:49 pm
SALT LAKE CITY — Marriage is a big commitment with many things to consider before making a final decision. So how do you know if it’s the next step in your relationship? Is marriage for everyone?
In the latest episode of the Let’s Get Moving with Maria podcast, host Maria Shilaos spoke with Dr. Dave Schramm, USU Family Life Extension Specialist and Co-host of the Stronger Marriage Connection Podcast. They discussed some of the most important things that couples should think about before going into a marriage.
Is marriage becoming an outdated tradition?
“More people are now living together prior to marriage than aren’t living together prior to marriage … I think marriage will always be there, but it is losing some of its superpowers,” Dr. Schramm said.
He thinks there are several reasons for this. One is that some people think it’s easier to come in and out of a relationship without the legal aspect of a marriage commitment. In other words, a wedding and a marriage certificate are simply not necessary.
For others, it’s a trial run where they can test the waters to see if they’re ready for a commitment.
How does marriage change a relationship?
“All the research that I’ve seen so far continues to show that there is something qualitatively different when someone actually marries, ” Schramm said. “The happiness levels are higher.”
One of the common myths about marriage is the belief that love is enough.
“That was meant to draw us together, but it was really never meant to keep us together. It takes so much more than just love,” Dr. Schramm said.
Schramm also said he often hears people say that the key to a strong marriage is communication.
“It’s not communication; it’s connection … Communication is more of the fruit. The root is connection. It’s about getting our hearts right,” Dr. Schramm said.
Listen to the full episode below to hear the rest!
Follow Let’s Get Moving with Maria on Facebook and Instagram.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Video: Sugar House man notices sinkhole of “unknown depth” in front yard, at a…
- #BACONTOPAYSON: Payson High students pushing to get Kevin Bacon to prom
- Lake Powell bounces back from record-low water levels
- Car leaves roadway in North Ogden, crashes onto residential property
- Man killed in West Valley crash was visiting elderly neighbor
- Popular trail bridge at Zion National Park closes
- Utah Highway Patrol warns of scam callers pretending to be troopers
- Why are hikers dying in Buckskin Gulch?
- Would you take a new rail line from SLC to Las Vegas, Boise or LA?
- Lori Daybell’s defense team files for new murder trial