HOUSING + HOMELESSNESS
Parking for electric vehicles coming to multifamily homes
Apr 5, 2023, 7:00 PM
(AP Photo/Sergei Grits)
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake City Council voted Tuesday night to require new multi-family housing properties to make at least 20% of parking spaces equipped for electric vehicles.
Most Utahns living in apartments or condos have been unable to make the switch to EVs prior to the vote.
Utah Clean Energy’s Senior Associate of Electrification, Kelbe Goupil is in favor of the vote.
“We applaud Salt Lake City for its leadership in bringing more equitable access to EV charging. We hope to see other local governments across Utah deploy similar ordinances, giving more Utahns the option to ditch their tailpipe for cleaner, healthier EV options,” states Goupil.
According to a release from Utah Clean Energy, EV-ready parking spaces shall have electrical conduit and sufficient electrical capacity for the future use of a minimum 200-volt electric vehicle charging station.
Furthermore, EV-ready parking spaces do not require an installed charging station.
The electric parking spots will help promote healthier air quality says Goupil.
“The transportation sector is the largest source of CO2 emissions in the U.S. Smart policies like this help our communities make the transition to low and zero-carbon transportation while future-proofing newly built homes and reducing climate-warming emissions,” Goupil said.
- Uber bringing electric vehicle service to Salt Lake City
- Bill would trim gas tax, create a new tax on out-of-state electric vehicles
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Parts of Utah experienced a severe thunderstorm, Pride Festival back on
- China’s soured milk and its impact on Utah’s dairy farmers
- Two men electrocuted while cutting a tree in West Jordan
- Two injured when semi-truck crashes through garages of complex, hits propane tank
- A congressional resignation, hurry sickness and the need for respectful restraint
- Following complaint against Bible in schools, Book of Mormon receives complaint for…
- Wildlife officials trying to trap bear after it approached a tent above Bountiful
- Landspout forms over Salt Lake County. Here’s how that differs from a tornado