LET'S GET MOVING WITH MARIA
The practice of mindful and joyful eating
Apr 9, 2023, 10:10 AM | Updated: Apr 10, 2023, 8:56 am
SALT LAKE CITY – Eating is essential for our body and health, but many of us eat regardless because we simply love food.
In the latest Let’s Get Moving with Maria podcast episode, host Maria Shilaos spoke with Tansy Boggon, who is an author, nutritionist, and recipe developer, about the practice of joyful eating.
Why is joyful eating so important?
One reason is because we tend to include food in every big celebration.
“We have this social connection to food, whether it’s giving food to show love or to celebrate,” Boggon said.
Enjoying food is a very important part of our biology. It’s natural to find joy in eating, and that joy is what causes us to continue seeking out a variety of food.
Another reason is because we get to experience all the different senses by eating food.
“Food is a sensory experience. It’s a way for us to tap into the moment to feel the taste, the touch, the texture, the colors,” Boggon said.
Why should we try new flavors?
Maria pointed out that as she got older and busier, she found herself getting bored with food because she kept eating the same meals all the time. That’s why she started looking for different ingredients to add to her recipes, which gave her something new to try.
Boggon says it’s normal to be curious about new textures and tastes. It’s similar to the way babies are curious about food that they’ve never tried before.
“We can actually use eating as a bit of a mindfulness activity. It’s an opportunity for us to be present—to acknowledge that we’re eating,” Boggon said.
She also emphasized that there is no perfect way to eat.
Listen to the full episode below to hear the rest!
Follow Let’s Get Moving with Maria on Facebook and Instagram.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Video: Sugar House man notices sinkhole of “unknown depth” in front yard, at a…
- #BACONTOPAYSON: Payson High students pushing to get Kevin Bacon to prom
- Lake Powell bounces back from record-low water levels
- Car leaves roadway in North Ogden, crashes onto residential property
- Popular trail bridge at Zion National Park closes
- Utah Highway Patrol warns of scam callers pretending to be troopers
- Man killed in West Valley crash was visiting elderly neighbor
- Would you take a new rail line from SLC to Las Vegas, Boise or LA?
- Lori Daybell’s defense team files for new murder trial
- Why are hikers dying in Buckskin Gulch?