LET'S GET MOVING WITH MARIA
The sound and lyrics of music can heal the mind, heart
Apr 16, 2023, 1:00 PM | Updated: Apr 17, 2023, 2:18 pm
SALT LAKE CITY – Music can make a big difference in our lives. Whether we’re stressed or simply in need of a break from all the noise around us, music can heal our mind.
In the latest Let’s Get Moving with Maria podcast episode, host Maria Shilaos spoke with Heather Fellows, State-Certified Music Therapist from the Huntsman Cancer Institute, about how music can heal the mind.
Why is music so important?
“Music affects our brains and our bodies, whether it be through the vibrational component, or maybe it’s the lyrics that are affecting us. We just find that connection with music,” Fellows said.
Music therapists use music to help people address whatever issue they’re dealing with. The type of music is purely based on individual preference and needs.
How does music therapy work?
There are a few ways that music therapy could work. For example, here is one of the methods that Fellows brought up. First, she asks the patients about their concern. Then, she asks about their relationship to music.
“We are prescribing or coming up with music as an intervention, and sometimes that looks like singing with them, analyzing lyrics with them… Sometimes it’s more of a relaxation session,” Fellows said.
What do music therapists try to accomplish?
The main goal for music therapists is the outcome. They want to see the results, and they want people to feel better. It helps to ask yourself, “How can I use music to help me get from point A to point B?”
There’s also a neurological component to how music can help relieve our pain.
“We process music in multiple parts of our brain. One of those places is the place where we process pain perception… The research tells us that if we can get a patient very engaged in the music, the music can actually mask that perception of pain,” Fellows said.
Listen to the full episode below to hear the rest!
Follow Let’s Get Moving with Maria on Facebook and Instagram.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Parts of Utah experienced a severe thunderstorm, Pride Festival back on
- China’s soured milk and its impact on Utah’s dairy farmers
- Two men electrocuted while cutting a tree in West Jordan
- Two injured when semi-truck crashes through garages of complex, hits propane tank
- A congressional resignation, hurry sickness and the need for respectful restraint
- Following complaint against Bible in schools, Book of Mormon receives complaint for…
- Wildlife officials trying to trap bear after it approached a tent above Bountiful
- Landspout forms over Salt Lake County. Here’s how that differs from a tornado