Extra warm three-day temperatures is recipe for extra spring runoff
May 1, 2023, 4:00 PM
(Jeffrey D. Allred/Deseret News)
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — Record level temperatures are expected Monday and it will be extra warm through Wednesday in Utah. Similarly, it’s warm in the mountains and not cooling enough to slow the spring runoff overnight.
Temperature high’s on Monday are forecasted to reach 90 degrees. That would be a record for Salt Lake City, who’s record high is 87 this year. Overnight lows in the valley’s are in the upper 50s, which means the mountains won’t cool below freezing either.
KSL Meteorologist Matt Johnson says that’s a recipe for extra spring runoff.
“Record temperatures on top of record snowpack is a bad, bad equation for excessive runoff,” he tells KSL NewsRadio’s Dave and Dujanovic.
He’s particularly concerned about areas like Cache Valley because still there is still snow on the ground to melt. Most of the valley is under a flood watch.
An areal flood watch is in effect for portions of Cache County near the Little Bear River below Hyrum Reservoir. #utwx pic.twitter.com/AOHJoS3aKW
— NWS Salt Lake City (@NWSSaltLakeCity) April 30, 2023
A cool off is coming. But not until Thursday. By this weekend temperatures will be back in the upper sixties.
- Assume any flood water you see is contaminated, Utah officials say
- Flood watches and advisories in effect across Utah; US 89 closed at US 6/Thistle Junction
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Parts of Utah experienced a severe thunderstorm, Pride Festival back on
- China’s soured milk and its impact on Utah’s dairy farmers
- Two men electrocuted while cutting a tree in West Jordan
- A congressional resignation, hurry sickness and the need for respectful restraint
- Two injured when semi-truck crashes through garages of complex, hits propane tank
- Following complaint against Bible in schools, Book of Mormon receives complaint for…
- Landspout forms over Salt Lake County. Here’s how that differs from a tornado
- Wildlife officials trying to trap bear after it approached a tent above Bountiful