JEFF CAPLAN'S AFTERNOON NEWS
Legal expert shares thoughts on closing arguments of Vallow Daybell trial
May 11, 2023, 9:30 PM | Updated: May 15, 2023, 9:48 am
(Dennis Fujimoto/The Garden Island via AP, Pool, File)
SALT LAKE CITY — Closing arguments in the Lori Vallow Daybell trial concluded Thursday, and the case is now in the hands of the jury.
KSL Legal Analyst Greg Skordas joined Jeff Caplan’s Afternoon News on Thursday to discuss the case as it concludes.
Listen to the full closing arguments:
Caplan asked, “What were the highlights of the closing arguments today?”
“The highlights really were the state doing a very compelling job of explaining to the jury why it was that they had put on a significant case,” Skordas said. “Why it was that they had established proof beyond a reasonable doubt for the jury to convict.”
High points of the closing arguments
“One of their (the defense) arguments seemed to be that there wasn’t much in the way of physical evidence linking Lori Vallow to the crimes. Will that hold water with the jury?” Caplan asked.
“I think that was their strongest argument,” Skordas said. “And there was one piece of evidence that was pretty compelling. And that was Lori’s hair that was found on the tape that was used in part to bind little JJ.”
Skordas thinks that piece of evidence may have been the difference for the state.
“And probably, and I’m just guessing got them over the hurdle that you just mentioned that the defense claimed they couldn’t overcome,” he said. “I think that was the piece of evidence that the state really needed to put Lori at the crime scene.”
What could the jurors be thinking?
Caplan asked, “Do you have any thoughts about how this jury might decide in the hours or days ahead?”
“I think the state did its job,” Skordas said. “I think it put on a good case. (And) I thought the defense was lacking, with all respect to these lawyers who seemed to be very competent. Maybe they just didn’t have much to work with.”
The jury deliberated for roughly two hours Thursday afternoon before adjourning for the day. Jury deliberations will resume Friday morning.
Listen to the entire segment.
Jeff Caplan’s Afternoon News can be heard on weekdays from 3 to 7 p.m.
- KSL to broadcast Lori Vallow Daybell trial verdict following new court order
- Lori Vallow Daybell trial: judge and attorneys wrangle over jury instructions
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- SLC Ballpark ‘Next Design’ competition winners announced
- Becky Edwards announces her intent to run to represent Utah’s 2nd Congressional District
- Congressman Chris Stewart announces resignation
- U of U Health, Regence insurance warn they may not reach a contract
- Woman barricades herself inside West Jordan home, then arrested
- Lori Vallow Daybell shrugs after being handed docs about delivering up her kids, video shows
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- Sen. Lee says he will vote no on debt ceiling agreement
- Rattlesnakes are appearing on Utah trails, around homes later than normal
- Candidates starting to line up as potential replacement for Rep. Stewart