For more than three decades, the name and voice of Tim Hughes has been a part of Utah broadcasting and the Salt Lake Community.
An Idaho native, Tim came to the Wasatch Front to attend broadcast school in 1979. After graduation and a short three-month stint in his hometown of Pocatello and Blackfoot, he returned to the Salt Lake Market and has made it his home ever since. A third of his career was in the country music market, but his dream job was the chance to handle news and information for KSL.
Between 1988 and 1993, Tim teamed up with Maria Shilaos each morning from 5a-9a. A return to country and then an invitation to launch a new talk station in the market brought him back to the morning airwaves between 1996 and the year 2000.
His on-air experiences include coverage of the inauguration of President George H.W. Bush, John Glenn’s return to space in 1998 and most recently the Rose Parade. His work has been recognized with more twenty Utah Broadcaster Awards and a four-time winner of the Society of Professional Broadcaster Awards.
Then in 2000 with the construction of his home studio and his company “Voice by Hughes”, a new direction in his life began. You may know Tim’s voice on everything from Home Show commercials to local TV station promotions, the instructional video in your new Toyota vehicle or your kids’ video games. He has also traveled the U.S. as a ring announcer for mixed martial arts events carried live on FSN, MyNetwork and Showtime and seen in thirteen countries.
In 2002, a huge break came when both the organizing committee for the Salt Lake Olympic Games and NBC hired Tim to be, as some dubbed him, “The Voice of the Games”. As the English voice at Medals Plaza, he was heard by an estimated 3.5 billion people nightly. He also voiced the bumpers and billboards for the NBC cable networks MSNBC, CNBC and Bravo. That has led to Olympic opportunities in Athens, Greece, in 2004, Torino, Italy, in 2006 and Beijing, China, in 2008, where he filed daily “Olympic Diaries” for KSL Radio. In December of 2011, his international work continued in the Middle East in Doha, Qatar for the Arab Games. He returned to KSL in 2001 hosting the popular “KSL Outdoors Radio” program, “KSL Greenhouse” with Larry Sagers each Saturday morning and filling in on “Utah’s Morning and Afternoon News”.
In 2019, Tim was named co-host of Utah’s Morning News with Amanda Dickson.
- 3,100 homes evacuated in Saratoga Springs after lightning sparks fire near Utah Lake (pageviews: 13356)
- Update: Evacuations extended in Saratoga Springs after lightning sparks fire near Utah Lake | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 13319)
- Fireworks spark fire, force evacuations in Traverse Mountain area | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 7554)
- Lightning sparks fire near Utah Lake; some Saratoga Springs neighborhoods evacuated | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 5541)
- Fireworks spark fire, force evacuations in Traverse Mountain area (pageviews: 3238)
- 3,100 homes evacuated in Saratoga Springs after lightning sparks fire near Utah Lake | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 2854)
- Update: Suspected shooters from Provo protest arrested in SLC (pageviews: 2829)
- UPDATED: Wearing a mask incorrectly while healthy might actually make you sick | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 2814)