Utah officials warn about “misleading” letter from Dominion Energy
SALT LAKE CITY — State officials say if you get a letter from Dominion Energy that looks like a bill, double check it, because it may not be what you think it is.
The Utah Division of Public Utilities says the natural gas company sold customer addresses to a third party, and now people are getting letters with Dominion Energy letterhead advertising an insurance option that actually comes from HomeServe.
Chris Parker, Director of the Utah Divison of Public Utilities, says it’s not only misleading — it may be against the rules.
“One of the reasons we regulate them is because they are monopolies and they have an advantage position and access to customers without competition. So we are always concerned when they use that position for some other purpose than providing utility service,” Parker says.
Parker says his office has been getting complaints. He stresses: the service is not required, and it is not from the gas company.
“I’m told Dominion and HomeServe are going to stop sending these notices out until things are settled and they can figure things out. We plan to meet with them in the next few days.”
He says customers can and should call with any questions.
A statement from his office advised, “While the Division’s investigation is ongoing, any customer wishing to complain or be removed from the mailing list may contact the Division of Public Utilities at email@example.com or 1-800-874-0904. Customers may also contact Home Serve directly to be removed from the mailing list. That number is 1-833-808-6703.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Herriman mother saved by off-duty police officer
- Husband of Bluffdale mayor faces charges threatening city councilman
- Fourth of July weekend weather conditions ripe for fires
- CDC confirms five monkeypox cases in Utah
- Salt Lake County says it has decreased water-use on its golf courses
- Two people injured in Brigham City two-vehicle crash
- Fireworks and some open flames are now banned in Park City
- Delta pilots picketing in Salt Lake City and across the country
- UDOT reminds travelers of heavy traffic over the holiday weekend
- You’ll love spending the day at Bear Lake | How to spend a day at Bear Lake