Overstock invests in 84-mpg, 3-wheel, 2-seat Elio Car
MIDVALE – Overstock.com is investing $2.5 million into a three-wheel, two-seat car that can be purchased with cryptocurrency.
The founder of Elio Motors has high hopes for his car.
“After five years of sales, we could reduce total U.S. gas consumption by nearly half a percent,” Paul Elio said.
“This is all using known technology. There’s no ‘flux capacitor’ here.” Elio referred to the science fiction movie “Back to the Future.”
In real life, Elio says his car gets 84 miles per gallon and has a base price of $7500.
Elio, calls his vehicle the “and” vehicle, meaning drivers could have their big pickup trucks for heavy loads, and his car for simple commutes.
Overstock CEO Patrick Byrne invested $2.5 million into the car, and users of “Elio Coins” get first crack at buying the small car.
Byrne said the cryptocurrency could be “a much more accurate way to allocate capital for society than the way it’s currently done, with a bunch of aggressive investors on ‘Shark Tank,” referring to the television show.
Overstock operates with Bitcoin.
Byrne touted the car’s sustainability and eco-friendliness.
Today’s Top Stories
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- Police have arrested a ‘person of interest’ after a mass shooting at July 4th…
- UPDATE: Shooting on TRAX platform leaves one dead, one injured
- Fire officials say aerial firework caused brush fire in Saratoga Springs
- Deuel Creek Fire starts in Centerville overnight, evacuation order lifted
- ‘Jingle Bells’ was originally written as a Thanksgiving song
- Moab police describe fight between woman — now missing — and boyfriend
- Interactive map shows where fireworks are off-limits in Utah
- Campsite planning app offers new clues in case of missing woman Gabby Petito
- Former BYU professor charged with 5 more counts of forcible sexual abuse