Medical marijuana ballot initiative opponents drop lawsuit, plan to refile
SALT LAKE CITY — Opponents of the medical marijuana ballot initiative have dropped a lawsuit filed against Lt. Gov. Spencer Cox and the Utah Patients Coalition. However, the fight doesn’t appear to be over.
The suit filed last week demanded Lt. Gov. Cox to issue an emergency restraining order on the initiative, arguing that legalization would increase use throughout the state and “leave in its wake an ocean of human lives shattered by addiction.”
The Coalition For a Safe and Healthy Utah and Drug Safe Utah say dropping their suit is a strategic move. Drug Safe Utah President Walter Plumb told the Deseret News it would have been difficult to find proper standing in federal court. For that reason, they’re dropping this suit and planning to file another.
Proposition 2 appears to remain on the ballot for now, but Plumb says they plan to refile soon.
Today’s Top Stories
- Provo Police looking for information about two cars in deadly hit-and-run
- WNBA star Brittney Griner released from Russian detention in prisoner swap for convicted arms dealer
- Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office being sued after former cadet reports abuse
- Downtown Ogden expansion project begins finalizing plans
- Sundance Film Festival is seeking volunteers for 2023 event
- Hazmat spill closes I-15 in Bluffdale
- Snow expected to impact Wednesday evening commute
- How to deal with and overcome seasonal depression
- Vivint Smart Home acquired for $2.8 billion by NRG Energy
- Expert joins Inside Sources on women accessing homeless resources