Suspect shot by officer out of hospital, booked into jail
MIDVALE — Unified Police say a suspect shot by police and accused of trying to stab an officer outside of a fast food restaurant is out of the hospital.
Police are not yet sure what 26-year-old Steve Hawkins was doing outside the closed Midvale McDonald’s at 425 W. 7200 S. around 1:30 a.m., but say he stabbed an officer with a screwdriver who had stopped to see what was going on.
“The officer’s ballistic vest was able to protect him from receiving any injuries with that,” says Unified Police Sgt. Melody Gray.
The officer then fired on Hawkins, hitting him in the abdomen. Hawkins received treatment in a nearby hospital and was released shortly afterward.
Hawkins is now booked into the Salt Lake County Jail and faces multiple severe charges.
“Public intoxication, interfering with an arrest, use of a dangerous weapon, and aggravated assault on a police officer,” says Sgt. Gray.
The officer is not yet being identified, but following standard procedure, is on paid administrative leave while an outside agency investigates.
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Utah County attorney says he’s been wrongly accused of cannibalism
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- Utah mom shares grocery budgeting tips
- Court says gun law targeting domestic violence suspects is unconstitutional
- Over 20 arrested in Utah County human trafficking sting, 3 victims rescued