Jen Lightfoot, Viewmont Elementary
The following was submitted by Emily Chandler.
“This year my child was diagnosed with Rheumatic fever in early September. Rheumatic fever is a rare disorder and a noncontagious acute fever marked by inflammation and pain in the joints. It chiefly affects young people and is caused by a streptococcal infection. Rheumatic fever will go after three areas, the heart, joints and brain.
My child has been affected by all 3, With most recent being her brain. Because of this She now suffers from a disorder called Sydenham’s Chora which is a disorder characterized by rapid, uncoordinated jerking movements primarily affecting the face, hands and feet.
She has difficulty walking, talking, sitting in a chair, writing and using her hands and eating.
And this happens All because of a strep infection.
As you can imagine I wanted to keep my child safe at home all year and not send her back to school. But we decided the best thing would be to give this little girl some “normal” in such a chaotic hard year. Mrs. Lightfoot has gone above and beyond taking care of my little Oli. She has been so kind, understanding, and supportive through each step of this Rheumatic Fever.
Oli is not able to sit on a normal school chair without falling onto the floor, so Mrs. Lightfoot went and found her a chair with sides. She also found a bean bag that Oli is able to sit on during carpet time. Oli has difficulty walking because of the in involuntary movements and Mrs. Lightfoot is always there to take her hand and walk her wherever she needs to go.
Mrs. Lightfoot not only goes above and beyond for my child but for each of the children in her class. She treats her students like her own children, which is amazing since she is a mother herself to 8 children.
She is an amazing teacher and truly cares about each and everyone of her students. I would love her to be recognized in our community and I couldn’t think of a better award to give to a better teacher!”
Today’s Top Stories
- Nations largest pig farm exposed, two face criminal charges
- Water levels indicate that Utah’s water conservation efforts are working
- Eviction filings on the rise in Utah, compared to this time last year
- At Alpine school board meeting, Natalie Cline claims district allows porn in classrooms
- Teen arrested, suspected of aggravated murder in Salt Lake City
- Crash involving RV leaves one dead
- Teen killed in Hurricane auto-pedestrian accident
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- Automatic emergency braking should only be used as a last resort
- Biden administration kicks off student loan debt forgiveness process