West Valley City — A unique Afro-Brazilian martial arts event is coming to Salt Lake this weekend.
“Mestre Jamaika” Mauro Romualdo runs Volta Miuda, which offers classes in Capoeira, the Afro-Brazilian martial art developed by African slaves in Brazil during the 16th century. Capoeira teaches and cultivates movement, music, and philosophy. To commemorate 10 years in Salt Lake, Jamaika invited a number of fellow Capoeiristas to take part in a Show and Cords Ceremony (also referred to as a Batizado).
The ceremony is open to the public on Saturday, July 13, 2019, at 3 pm in the Utah Cultural Celebration Center in West Valley City.
Find more information on their Facebook page
- Trump designates elite Iranian military force as a terrorist organization
- Scientists just captured a record 17-foot-long python in Florida
- Prosecutor plans diversion program for low-level suspects
- Homeland Security Sec. Nielsen resigns amid border turmoil
- Hill Air Force Base cited as most at risk in climate change rankings