WASHINGTON (AP) — House Speaker Nancy Pelosi says her chamber will derail a maverick Democrat’s drive to impeach President Donald Trump.
Texas Rep. Al Green’s resolution cites Trump’s “racist” words this week urging Democratic congresswomen of color to go back to their native countries. And he says Trump is unfit to be president.
Pelosi and other party leaders worry that the vote needlessly forces vulnerable swing-district lawmakers to cast a perilous and divisive vote. Even if the House voted to impeach Trump now, the Republican-run Senate would be certain to acquit him.
Pelosi tells reporters about Green’s resolution, “We’ll get rid of all this right now.”
Green’s measure also risks widening the rift between liberal Democrats itching to oust Trump and Pelosi and others who want to first build stronger public support.
- Trump designates elite Iranian military force as a terrorist organization
- Scientists just captured a record 17-foot-long python in Florida
- Prosecutor plans diversion program for low-level suspects
- Homeland Security Sec. Nielsen resigns amid border turmoil
- Hill Air Force Base cited as most at risk in climate change rankings