House set to block maverick Dem’s Trump impeachment effort
WASHINGTON (AP) — House Speaker Nancy Pelosi says her chamber will derail a maverick Democrat’s drive to impeach President Donald Trump.
Texas Rep. Al Green’s resolution cites Trump’s “racist” words this week urging Democratic congresswomen of color to go back to their native countries. And he says Trump is unfit to be president.
Pelosi and other party leaders worry that the vote needlessly forces vulnerable swing-district lawmakers to cast a perilous and divisive vote. Even if the House voted to impeach Trump now, the Republican-run Senate would be certain to acquit him.
Pelosi tells reporters about Green’s resolution, “We’ll get rid of all this right now.”
Green’s measure also risks widening the rift between liberal Democrats itching to oust Trump and Pelosi and others who want to first build stronger public support.
Today’s Top Stories
- Man crashes into Ogden Taco Bell drive-thru window
- Crash on I-15 in Draper leaves one dead
- American Red Cross of Utah seeks volunteers in central Utah
- Clearfield Police identify victims in Wednesday’s double homicide
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- One person dies on hike at Zion National Park, another hospitalized
- First Presidency issues 2022 Christmas message
- Trash can on fire at home in the Cottonwoods, safely extinguished
- Six new Latter-day Saint missions to launch in 2023
- Vehicle collides with unoccupied building in Roy, no injuries