Robbers steal $2.5 million in coins from Mexico’s mint in daylight heist
Police are searching for the perpetrators of the theft, which took place in broad daylight on one of the Mexican capital’s most prestigious avenues, Avenida Reforma, CNN en Español reports.
The brazen heist is the latest development in a crime wave that has struck Mexico City in recent months as the security situation deteriorates across the country.
Two thieves entered the mint, taking a security guard’s gun and throwing him to the ground before making off with 1,567 gold coins from the vault, which was left open, police told Reuters.
The “centenario” coins trade for 31,500 pesos ($1,610) each although their face value is just 50 pesos, according to Mexican bank Banorte. This means the booty is worth around $2.5 million in total.
Police told CNN en Español they are studying security camera footage provided by the mint, which shows the suspects in action.
Initial investigations revealed that security protocols were not followed and the guard and two other staff members who were working at the time have been taken in for questioning, according to a statement from Mexico City’s Secretariat of Public Security.
Mexico’s security situation has been worsening, with 33,341 homicides in 2018, according to a report released by Mexico’s Secretariat of Security and Citizen Protection.
That is the highest number since the country began keeping records and compares with 28,866 homicides in 2017 — an increase of more than 15%.
Many of the homicides are linked to violence among drug cartels fighting for control of territory.
™ & © 2019 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- Body found in Arches National Park Saturday
- What differentiates BYU’s MBA program from other MBA programs
- Fatal car crash closes southbound I-15 in Washington County
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announces the construction of 18 new temples
- Pickup truck crash leaves two dead
- Rubio vows to oppose potential Hurricane Ian aid package if lawmakers ‘load it up with…
- Suspect in 2015 murder of West Valley City woman arrested
- Sacheen Littlefeather, Native American activist and actress, dead at 75
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors