UDOT snowplows get LED lights: “It’s going to look like Disneyland.”
COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS, Utah — Almost every time it snows, someone runs into a snowplow. Now UDOT is testing a way they think could help people see those snowplows better.
They placed LED lighting in a strip along the edge of the “wing” or arm that extends out from the truck.
“If we get a big green LED light and orange color, it’s going to look like Disneyland. Maybe people will go to a happier place,” said Jake Brown, Cottonwood Canyons Operations Manager for the Utah Department of Transportation.
Brown says if people crash into the wings, it could really do some damage, and send them off the road. Many plows have a tall LED whip or stick, but trees and heavy snow can break those or snap them off.
“We want to bring attention to the wing, and let people know it’s there,” he said as he showed reporters his truck at UDOT’s Cottonwood Maintenance Shed. “During heavy snow days, I’ve pushed some heavy snow, and the whip on top has disappeared, but the lighting on the wing has not.”
Brown says you definitely can’t miss them in the dark.
The wing lights are being tested in a pilot program in Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons. If successful, they could go on every UDOT plow.
UDOT snow plows decked out for Christmas! Actually, these bright green LED lights were just installed on the wing blade of this plow to increase visibility during winter storms. It’s being tested… and if successful, you may see these lights on plows across the state. pic.twitter.com/7cJtImfQjn
— John Gleason (@johnegleason) December 19, 2019
The next best chance for measurable precipitation in the Salt Lake Valley comes over Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. UDOT says its drivers will be ready.
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Backcountry skier dead after fatal fall in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- More than 1,500 dead as powerful quake hits southern Turkey and Syria
- Bill permitting pregnant people to use HOV lane passes House
- 2 arrested in central California shooting that left 6 dead, including mother clutching…
- Winter blues: light therapy and lifestyle changes can help
- SLCPD makes arrest connected to fatal stabbing case
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- Evacuations ordered amid fears of an explosion as an Ohio train continues burning days after…
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen