Proposed law would prevent people who haven’t paid child support from getting a hunting permit
(CNN) — A lawmaker in Utah has introduced a bill that would prevent people who haven’t paid their child support from obtaining permits for hunting and fishing.
House Bill 197 was introduced Monday at the request of the state’s Office of Recovery Services as an enforcement tool to tackle the $404,160,838 in past due child support in the state, the bill’s sponsor Rep. Karianne Lisbonee told CNN in an email.
Lisbonee says that 38% of Utah families do not receive their current child support.
“Non-custodial support payments to children help fund their health care, shelter, food, and education,” Lisbonee said. “Loss of this support has a profoundly negative impact on children.”
New: listen to our conversation with Rep. Lisbonee on Dave & Dujanovic
The bill seeks to prohibit anyone who owes $2,500 or more in child support from obtaining a license, permit or tag from the state’s Division of Wildlife Resources.
An individual can buy a permit only after they are no longer in arrears on payments and the Office of Recovery Services notes the payment, the proposed legislation says.
If passed, the bill would take effect July 1, 2021.
™ & © 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- Father of girl who died in Kaysville parade is thankful for those who helped
- Those who practice intermittent fasting less likely to have severe COVID complications,…
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- GoFundMe started to remember 8-year-old girl who died in Kaysville parade
- UDOT to temporarily close Cottonwood Heights I-215 bridge for restoration
- Family of Zane James speaks out after settlement reached with Cottonwood Heights
- The Great Salt Lake water level reaches a historic low as Utah continues to face extreme drought
- Missing girls from South Jordan found near San Diego
- Could a gas strike work? One expert doubts it
- UDOT makes changes to traffic study after feedback