‘Cats’ meow: Musical tops 40th Annual Razzies for worst in cinema
(CNN) — Remember the time “Cats” knew what happiness was?
That would probably be when the movie was unreleased and people couldn’t wait to see the film starring Dame Judi Dench (who has said she hasn’t even seen it), Taylor Swift and Idris Elba.
Well, that didn’t go exactly as planned and the musical — which bombed at the box office — has been honored (if that’s what you want to call it) with multiple Golden Raspberry Awards.
The awards are given to the best of the worst in cinema. “Cats,” “Madea” and “Rambo” led the nominees when the list of nominations was announced in February.
“Cats” snagged six awards: Worst picture, worst supporting actress and actor for Rebel Wilson and James Corden, worst director for Tom Hooper, worst screenplay and worst screen combo for “Any Two Half-Feline/Half-Human Hairballs.”
The following is the list of winners who, we guess, are also sort of losers, too.
John Travolta — “The Fanatic” and “Trading Paint”
Hilary Duff — “The Haunting of Sharon Tate”
WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Rebel Wilson — “Cats”
WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR
James Corden — “Cats”
WORST SCREEN COMBO
Any Two Half-Feline/Half-Human Hairballs — “Cats”
“Cats” — Screenplay by Lee Hall and Tom Hooper
Tom Hooper — “Cats”
WORST REMAKE, RIP-OFF or SEQUEL
“Rambo: Last Blood”
WORST RECKLESS DISREGARD for HUMAN LIFE and PUBLIC PROPERTY
“Rambo: Last Blood”
RAZZIE® REDEEMER AWARD
Eddie Murphy — “Dolemite Is My Name”
The Razzies are voted on by current Razzie members (1,107 from the 50 US states and about two dozen foreign countries) online.
This year’s Razzie Redeemer Award, which honors those who have come back from Razzie-dom, was voted on separately.
™ & © 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- Bill would allow individuals to become teachers without a bachelor’s degree
- One person killed in wrong-way head-on collision on I-15 near Beck Street
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- The bizarre history of Groundhog Day
- Salt Lake City police investigating shooting, one person hurt
- Four elk killed as herd gets too close to I-215 and I-80
- Opinion: Is sportsmanship dead in high school basketball?
- Bill to set target water level for the Great Salt Lake dries up
- Davis County officials charge suspect in Layton Amber Alert
- One man dead, suspect on the run after Glendale shooting