‘Cats’ meow: Musical tops 40th Annual Razzies for worst in cinema
(CNN) — Remember the time “Cats” knew what happiness was?
That would probably be when the movie was unreleased and people couldn’t wait to see the film starring Dame Judi Dench (who has said she hasn’t even seen it), Taylor Swift and Idris Elba.
Well, that didn’t go exactly as planned and the musical — which bombed at the box office — has been honored (if that’s what you want to call it) with multiple Golden Raspberry Awards.
The awards are given to the best of the worst in cinema. “Cats,” “Madea” and “Rambo” led the nominees when the list of nominations was announced in February.
“Cats” snagged six awards: Worst picture, worst supporting actress and actor for Rebel Wilson and James Corden, worst director for Tom Hooper, worst screenplay and worst screen combo for “Any Two Half-Feline/Half-Human Hairballs.”
The following is the list of winners who, we guess, are also sort of losers, too.
John Travolta — “The Fanatic” and “Trading Paint”
Hilary Duff — “The Haunting of Sharon Tate”
WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Rebel Wilson — “Cats”
WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR
James Corden — “Cats”
WORST SCREEN COMBO
Any Two Half-Feline/Half-Human Hairballs — “Cats”
“Cats” — Screenplay by Lee Hall and Tom Hooper
Tom Hooper — “Cats”
WORST REMAKE, RIP-OFF or SEQUEL
“Rambo: Last Blood”
WORST RECKLESS DISREGARD for HUMAN LIFE and PUBLIC PROPERTY
“Rambo: Last Blood”
RAZZIE® REDEEMER AWARD
Eddie Murphy — “Dolemite Is My Name”
The Razzies are voted on by current Razzie members (1,107 from the 50 US states and about two dozen foreign countries) online.
This year’s Razzie Redeemer Award, which honors those who have come back from Razzie-dom, was voted on separately.
™ & © 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- Hurricane Ian weakens to Category 3 after making landfall in Florida, but officials warn the…
- Severe thunderstorm warning issued for Davis and Weber counties
- Researchers using dirty diapers to develop new autism test
- Former KSL NewsRadio talk show host in the path of Hurricane Ian
- Coronavirus Prevention
- What can the Layton dog bite teach us about free speech?
- Controversial homecoming dress code ends in protest
- So. Salt Lake Police identify victim in officer-involved shooting
- BYU study sees no advantage for either party in mail-in voting