Utah State School Board suspends testing
SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah State School Board has moved to suspend the requirements for statewide testing this year.
In a letter sent to educators, the board said:
“The Board values measurement of learning and growth. The transparency the data provides to the education community, and the role it plays in providing support for improved outcomes for Utah students is invaluable.
“However, during this extraordinary time, the health and safety, both individual and community, should be the focus of our energies and decision making. The prospect of schools being held accountable to administer required assessments and impacted by the resulting accountability determinations is an unnecessary distraction to the challenges of maintaining continuity of instructional service, minimizing trauma and stress, and striving to meet the needs of each student.”
They say that while no one knows how long the impacts of COVID-19 will last, they expect the disruptions of daily routines to continue. As a result, the school board would expect testing to be affected, too.
The board says that they are working to iron out any remaining questions and determinations.
“In the meantime, we encourage schools to continue to focus on providing high-quality instruction, that meets the individual needs of each student and following the directions of the state health department and other leaders in order to maintain the health and wellbeing of the community, including themselves.
“Stay safe and healthy!”
Today’s Top Stories
- False alarm of reported shots fired near Granger Elementary
- Pilot uninjured in Mountain Green plane crash
- State intends to appeal vacated death sentence of Utah man
- Iran wants US out of World Cup after change made to Iranian flag
- Latest snow on Utah roads prompts police to encourage safe driving
- Car drives into parade, hits horse and rider
- Utah well-represented during international gymnastics competition
- UDOT warns winter storm bringing roadway impacts
- Crash on I-15 in Draper leaves one dead
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]