ARTS + ENTERTAINMENT
The first ever YouTube video was uploaded 15 years ago today. Here it is
(CNN) — Time to hit rewind.
The first YouTube video ever was uploaded on April 23, 2005 — exactly 15 years ago, today.
YouTube co-founder Jawed Karim posted the 18-second video, titled “Me at the zoo.” It has since garnered over 90 million views. To this day, it is the only video on Karim’s channel.
Upon clicking play, the screen fills with a young Karim’s face, his disheveled hair taking up the screen front and center.
“Alright,” Karim begins. “So here we are, in front of the elephants.”
There he is. In front of the elephants.
“The cool thing about these guys is that they have really, really, really long, um, trunks,” he continues. “And that’s, that’s cool.”
Unlike many YouTube creators’ videos these days, Karim’s video does not include what’s considered the more traditional sign off: “Subscribe to my channel!” or “Like, rate, comment!”
He ends the video simply by stating: “And that’s pretty much all there is to say.”
A year after “Me at the zoo,” Karim and fellow co-founders sold the platform to Google for a whopping $1.65 billion.
Now, the platform boasts more than 2 billion logged-in users visit each month, according to YouTube.
In the past decade and a half, YouTube has seen many highs and lows.
Among the lows: A surge in hate speech videos (including videos by prominent white supremacists); drama around certain creators (including PewDiePie, one YouTube’s biggest stars who faced allegations of racism and anti-Semitism); and frustration from some creators.
Among the highs: Helping elevate creators; launching YouTube Red, a streaming service with original TV shows and movies; and becoming a hub for all kinds of content.
YouTube says one billion hours of content is watched daily.
And it all began with Karim, at the zoo.
™ & © 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Body found at 600N, I-15 Southbound
- KSL EXCLUSIVE: “It’s been a punch to the gut,” Woods Cross mom of boy…
- Clearfield power and traffic alert
- Robbery at swap meet leaves one victim shaken up
- Woods Cross man charged for allegedly secretly recording others in bathroom
- Full interlodge in effect for Alta and Snowbird ski area
- Salt Lake carjacking suspect dead, investigation continues
- Winter-like temperatures sticking around
- What you can do about snow mold in your lawn
- The Salt Lake Temple renovation has a new completion date